Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend Update (Copyscape, Star Trek, Mice, and Australia)


For those of you born after 1976, that's Jane Curtin doing SNL's "Weekend Update." Just looking at her fake intense-but-pleasant anchor stare cracks me up.

So on with my weekend update, although it would be better if I had a co-anchor to banter with. Any volunteers for bantering?



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape Copyscaping. I've noticed a big to-do recently over plagiarism. It seems several of my blogging friends' posts have been "compromised."

("Compromised" because this weekend I saw the Star Trek movie, so I'm feeling rather ... unemotional, logical and highly intelligent. Great movie, btw. One finally worth the ticket price.)

I would like to note that I did check my blog at the Copyscape site to see if my writing has been ripped off. (There goes the intelligent talk. Smartness by Spock immersion is a short-lived phenomenon, apparently.)

And now, the shocking revelation to that query: Nope.

I should be happy, right?

I should be happy that no one thought my writing clever or witty or informative enough to steal. They're like, "What a mess. I could do better." And so they're off to steal yours.

Therefore, I do not have the headaches that those of you being plagiarized must bear. The moral of this post is:

Sometimes it's better to be Adam West than Val Kilmer.
Better to be Peter Scolari than Tom Hanks.
Better to be George Costanza than George Clooney.
Rhoda Morgenstern than Mary Richards.

Here's to all the "B" people--no one's stealin' our stuff, and we don't have to dodge the paparazzi. It's good to be average. Yeah, not great or anything, just ... sorta OK.

This joker has moved into a house on campus with three other guys this summer. Do not panic; they are all good, solid characters. It is the first summer he has not moved home.

I asked him what he was going to do about sleeping because he wouldn't have his dorm bed, and he said, "Somebody gave me a mattress."

Ugh.

All the mothers out there say, "Ugh."

(Collective "Ugh.")

So I said, "What about a frame and box springs?"

He said, "I'm just going to put the mattress on the floor."

Oh my.

Jorge said for me to look at this as Jordan's summer of camping in a house. I think that's a helpful perspective.

So last night was his first night in the house. We called him today to see how things are going, and he said, "There are mice in this house."

Not good. The boy doesn't even like centipedes, let alone mice.

So he is having a whole new life experience.

How much do you want to bet that mattress gets moved off the floor tonight?!

This one made it to Australia and is living it up. Here is an excerpt from her email:

Right now it's 4:08 p.m. here and we've just returned from our first full day of sightseeing--we took a tour of the Sydney Opera House and then walked around an area called The Rocks (don't worry, it's not a "bad" place as the name might make it seem.)

This cracks me up because she is totally cutting me off at the pass on worrying.

The hostel is really nice and clean, and we've already been to a seafood barbecue that was on the rooftop last night--fresh shrimp, salmon, and calamari! It was SO GOOD. I also tried Vegemite this morning at breakfast on my toast, and it was the most awful thing I've ever tasted. It's super salty and vinegar-y and disgusting, although it looks like Nutella.

From her comment and all the comments made on this blog about Vegemite, I believe it's safe to say it's in the proverbial "acquired taste" category.

So that's the weekend update. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.

PS: Still waiting on Amy.
PPS: Drinking 80 oz of water a day (4 20oz bottles). Yes, you read that right.

Did you do anything fun this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment