Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It Seems Like Thursday, But Technically, I Answered These on a Wednesday

Linda (great name!) at Growin' With It hosts a Wednesday meme called "What's Your Answer Wednesday."

Her questions:

1. What is your favorite word?

Oh, I could not say because they are all pretty good, just like my kids. In fact, I like the staccato, monosyllabic ones, the poetic ones, the ornate and scholarly ones, the informal slangy ones, the foreign ones, the dialectic ones, the baby ones, the written ones, spoken ones ... There is enough love in this heart for all of the words except swear words. I don't even like mild curse words. If I were forced at knife point to choose a favorite, I would probably say, "Mom." But please don't pull a knife just to see because that would be overkill, no pun intended; however, I do like puns.

2. Do you cut out coupons but never use them?

No. I don't subscribe to a newspaper, and I usually don't look through direct mail junk mail. And when I do clip a coupon, that means that I will automatically have it in my purse for three years until I finally roll up a wad of gum in it, so I just try not to clip them.

3. Do you wear perfume?

Very rarely. And this brings me to a whole new subject: Ever since Bath and Body Works made it big-time, people have been saturating themselves in aromas. Sometimes when I'm walking or running, or crawling, outside, I come up on a spot that is just wafting with someone's signature afterglow, and I dislike that immensely. Also, sometimes I feel trapped in a room or a car with someone who has applied too much perfume and my imagination starts seeing perfume fog overtaking everyone present, and I have to fight the age-old inclination of "fight or flight."

Perfume addicts are like the proverbial frogs in boiling water; they don't know they are slowly drowning themselves as they coat themselves with one last layer before leaving home. And they don't know that just like a drowning man, they are pulling all of us down with them, asphyxiating us with the sweetness of "Sensual Topaz" or "Lilac Lust." And I think addict is a good descriptive term because each application has diminishing effects on the wearer's olfactory sense, so she must have more, more, more!

No comments:

Post a Comment