Monday, June 8, 2009

Mango Salsa: Un-Cha!


My friend Cindy can cook. And I'm not even jealous because she reads my blog and that makes everything OK with me. I think blog-love covers a multitude of sins, like someone being talented where I'm not. So even though she's the one who ladled up a can lid out of soup I made for a group once, it's all good.

Plus, she's the one who turned me on to LOST, so, you know, "Live together; die alone." [Kinda like "May the force be with you."]

Anyway, Cindy made this mango salsa, and I've been in the Bahamas ever since tasting it. I thought I would share it with you.

You need:
1 bag of frozen mango chunks, thawed to the point of being still super cold and therefore will slice rather than mush under your knife. Cut into small chunks.

1/4 c. red onion, minced

2 kiwi, peeled and cut up

1/4 c. red pepper, minced

A small handful of cilantro (or as desired), chopped

Juice of two limes

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in bowl; gently fold together until evenly mixed. Refrigerate.




Imagine this ambrosia over grilled chicken or salmon or on chips. Un-cha!


But the whole time I made it, though, I kept hearing the poetic line in my head: "Go and catch a falling star/Get with child a mango root." Which is totally incorrect; the phrase is "mandrake root." John Donne was probably rolling over in his grave laughing at me: "Ditzy blonde!" or maybe swearing: "No where/Lives a woman true and fair." But I am quite pale.

Just like George Michael of Wham! (You'll notice that due to Wham's recurrence in this blog, they have their own post label) probably laughing at me today because I was cooking dinner and belting out, "Last Christmas, I gave you my heart/The very next day, you tore it apart" but apparently, according to my menacing, incorrigible, mocking daughters, the accurate phrase is, "you gave it away."

Then I said, "But 'heart' rhymes with 'apart,'" and my sassy English major daughter said, "They were going for internal rhyme, Mother: 'day-away'."

Good grief.

Just make the mango salsa. It will make you think "WHAM!" and feel like you're in the Bahamas at Christmastime, which is a lot for one salsa to accomplish.

Un-Cha!

No comments:

Post a Comment