Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Met Dave Barry Once, But I Can't Remember It


About three years ago, I met Dave Barry at a humor writers' conference. He was the keynote speaker. Oh, it was a glorious evening. There are only a couple of celebrities I'd like to meet, and now he is crossed off the list.

I found a notebook yesterday with my notes from his talk. I was eager to re-read them, hoping to relive some of the fun and maybe be reminded of some tips.

Sure am glad I took these copious notes:

Daily Herald Tribune (yes, I think that was the Miami paper he wrote for?)
Grande Prairie
Lori Knutson
Shannon McKinnon
All three of these are somehow related to Canada. Why he referred to them, I do not know.

Back of th- (yes, that's exactly what it says.)
300 attendees
World Record Mad Lib
11,000 blanks Moby Dick
(What in the world??)

Sense of humor from mom (at last, a complete thought)
English major - sewage and zoning (Oh for Pete's sake! How did I think that could mean anything even 5 minutes later, let alone 3 years later?)

3rd Column: "You're not as funny as you used to be."
Taught effective writing seminars
"Florida-You can't spell it without 'DUH'."
Mississippi: How do they make toast?
(Unbelievable. Even the CIA couldn't decipher this.)
Jeb Bush (I think I remember that he told about meeting Jeb Bush and something odd and funny he said to Mrs. Barbara Bush--what was it now? Wait, don't tell me .... Ugh. No idea.)
Good editor. Take criticism. I believe those were bits of advice.
North Dakota, Neil Diamond
Thick towel
Shampoo
Soup


Yes, incredibly, I began a grocery list at a later time right under the notes.

So I'm sure you'll glean as much from Dave's talk as I did. Welcome to my brain, my thoroughly mesmerized brain in the presence of Dave Barry.

PS: I did meet him for the requisite book signing, and he was more than nice to every single person in line. That says a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment