Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vacation, August, 2010

Joe and I are spending a week at the Chautauqua Institution in western New York State.  I've written about this place on this blog in the past and won't do so in very much detail now.  We are staying in a tiny apartment and are soaking up culture and philosophy; we are resting and reading.  He is sailing and also taking a class in chair caning.

The theme this week is "Sacred Spaces," and as always has been thought-producing.  I may (or may not) write more about that.

It is good to be here, to be away from some of the stress that Joe has been under in recent weeks.  I brought Bernina along, but haven't opened her.  Instead, I've been embroidering baby bibs and reading when I'm not attending an event.  Yesterday morning we heard Ken Burns speak on sacred space; he returns to the amphitheatre tomorrow night for a talk on Gettysburg, I believe.  Tonight the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra is on stage.

I am quiet, but I am alive and well.  And thinking.




No comments:

Post a Comment