Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Turn to Answer the RD12



1. What is your favorite Mexican dish?

Vegetable nachos. I order the same thing, at the same restaurant, every time. The restaurant is Puerto Vallarta, lovingly known around here as "PV," or the "Don't tell me what their last inspection rating was" place.

2. When you were a kid, did you get started on your homework right away after school, or did you procrastinate?

I can't remember homework when I was little, but in high school, I would come home, watch General Hospital, have a glass of Hawaiian punch (a drink to unwind from a stressful day??) and watch Merv Griffin. Then I worked until I got it done.

3. What is your favorite store for home furnishings?

For smaller items, Ikea, Hobby Lobby, and Target. That's 3, I know, but it's my meme and everything.

4. When you were young, did you like school lunches?

YES.


5. Is religion a crutch?

"Crutch" is a cloudy word. Sounds negative. In some ways, yes, it could be, in the sense of "using" a system for one's own selfish or inwardly focused reasons. It is not a bad thing to dependent on God; in fact, it's a good thing, but religion as an institution, I think not. So instead of the image of a crutch that you lean on, I think the ground under you completely supporting you is better. *For more intelligent answers to this question, please see the answers of all the other participants and theologians who have been addressing this question for many years!*

6. In your region, what is the "big" (most popular in the community or state) high school sport?

Basketball. Indiana = basketball. A hoop in every other driveway.

7. Do you consider yourself rich?

If a person walked up to me and asked me that point-blank, I would probably be put off and say, "Heavens, no." But the reality is, on the world's scale, I am extremely rich, materially speaking. This is hard to wrap my mind around, but it's a statistical fact. I listened to a great talk on this subject recently at my church, Commonway.

8. Which of these would you have the best chance for success in administering:
A) CPR
B) Heimlich Maneuver
C) Changing a flat tire

I still do not know how to change a flat. I have a mental block. So I'd say Heimlich.

9. Which dance would you prefer to learn & why:
A) Salsa
B) Hip Hop
C) Waltz
D) Swing

Waltz. They're beautiful. And not too intricate. 3/4 time works for me! Love the song "Christmas Waltz" with the lyrics "Merry Christmas
May your New Year dreams come true
And this song of mine
In three quarter time
Wishes you and yours
The same thing too
Merry Christmas to you." Can't you just hear Karen Carpenter singing that?


10. What's the worst news you've ever delivered to someone?

I had to tell my mother that her mother had passed away. I was only 16.

11. Name something you learned in college that had nothing to do with classes or academics.

Beware clingy friends. Beware those in authority (like teacher supervisors) who see college students in the classroom as an excuse to kick back and do absolutely nothing. Beware putting your boyfriend on a pedestal and making that relationship the center of your life. Should I go on?

12. New variation on an old question: If there's a song in your head that just won't get out, what is your favorite (or most repeated) line in that song?

Oh, half of my heart's got a grip on the situation
Half of my heart takes time
Half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you
That I can't keep loving you (can't keep loving you)
Oh, with half of my heart
John Mayer

Bet you thought I'd link to John right here, but no, I'm linking to Karen. The song actually starts at 1:50 into the interview. Makes me want to dance with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment