Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Farmer's Wife Goes to Chautauqua

Remember The Farmer's Wife and all the frustration I had with that project?  The one with all the dratted templates?  Some of which didn't seem accurate?  I decided that there was no joy for me in struggling with the templates.  And two of the people I was swapping blocks with were having a worse time than I was.  People, this is supposed to be fun!  I have come up with a solution! 

First of all, I absolved those two swapmates of any responsibility to me.  I certainly didn't want them struggling on my behalf!  Second, I looked at the options in the back of the book -- and decided that instead of attempting to make the entire 111-block quilt, I would go for the lap version, at a mere 50 blocks.  Third step, of course, was to count my blocks and see how many were lacking.  And fourth, I set The Farmer's Wife aside and turned to Around the Block where I selected sixteen very nice, very appealing six-inch blocks that would all look very well set on point.  Knowing I was ready to go on vacation, and wanting something to bring along, I spent an evening selecting fabrics, cutting components, and making sixteen tiny baggie kits.

We've been pretty busy since we set foot at Chautauqua, and this afternoon I had a long empty spell (before going to the 3:40 showing of "Letters to Juliet" [predictable but charming]) and I set up Bernina and got out my kits and then tried to find a place to plug in the iron where I wouldn't blow a fuse (lesson learned Monday morning when drying hair at the same time himself was making coffee).  And got four of my blocks made!  From top to bottom:  Contrary Wife, Brave World, Attic Windows, and Rising Star.  

I've not looked at the schedule for tomorrow, but I just might find the time to make some more of them.  In between attending lectures, programs, recitals, concerts and oops, sorry, but it is time to head out to get a bite to eat before tonight's Symphony!



No comments:

Post a Comment