Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flashback Friday: Back to School




Did your family have any back-to-school traditions when you were growing up? Were you generally eager or reluctant to start school? Was buying school supplies a big deal or did you order them through the school? Were there any school supplies you particularly loved? Did you take your lunch or buy it at school? Brown bag or lunch box/thermos? Does the first day of school from any grade stand out? Did you ride the bus, walk, or go by car to school? Do you remember how early or late school began/dismissed each day? Did you go to kindergarten? Half-day or whole day?

My child has indeed started school as of this week, and here is the picture to prove it. Here she is the first day of kindergarten, 1998, and here she is this week, first day of her senior year:



OK, but this post is supposed to be ensconced in ethereal memory mist, thus the title "Flashback."

I never looked forward to school starting, but I did love, and still do, school supplies. Crayons are the favorite; what a distinct aroma they have! I also enjoyed those cardboard boxes called "cigar boxes" that held the collection all together when I was little, simply called pencil boxes today.

My favorite non-academic supply, though, has to be the beloved Osmond lunch box. I believe I had this in the 4th or 5th grade. I thought it was wonderful. Usually I packed a peanut butter sandwich, Cheezies and a drink or I bought milk.



My least favorite, non-academic school supply was the plastic rain scarf my mom made me wear on the bus in kindergarten. Talk about setting someone up for teasing! Here I was this little girl in this giant woman plastic helmet scarf! OH, it was awful. But I survived, and I'm sure I've put my children through just as much torture, so it's all good.



So those are some of my memories--how about you? Thanks, Lid!

No comments:

Post a Comment