Sunday, November 9, 2008

Soul Coaching Day 8: Turning Points

As I'm writing, I see how many of these turning points I've already shared on this blog. I've linked to some things and shared a bit more about others. It's amazing how these moments become the story of who we are.

Turning Points & Defining Moments

  • The boy next door ditched hockey with his friends to teach me how to ride a bike. I was amazed and felt so important.

  • I took all my savings out of my piggy bank and went to the store to spend it. I was so proud and empowered. My dad was furious and took my allowance away for years.

  • Living in Montreal. Montreal represents the time when I was barefoot and free, a wild child playing outside, making up dances, starting businesses, creating games, hanging out in the woods and playing in the street.

  • My brother Robbie dying of a brain tumour when he, Suzie and I were just kids.

  • The movement component of an acting class I took as a kid. I remember like yesterday the performance, staying in stillness until the spotlight was on me and then dancing around, through and with a chair the moment the light hit. It was a revelation.

  • Moving to snobby Toronto and feeling completely disconnected and lost.

  • Realizing that because no one knew me, I could be whoever I wanted to be. Actively deciding to create the kind of experiences I wanted to have in my life.

  • The dance program going into the local Y and meeting Marjorie. Marjorie was my first mentor and changed my life. I went from attending 1 class on Saturday mornings to going every day after school, demonstrating and assisting in classes and finally teaching and performing. Marjorie taught me professionalism, the importance of presence and that giving 110% to something you love is a joy.

  • Working at Canada's Wonderland and learning to work my butt off while having a blast. The teenage freedom it represented.

  • Getting hired to play Papa Smurf in a show and actually getting paid to attend dance classes. It was a miracle.

  • Reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad in grade 12. It shattered my worldview. It took me over a year (maybe longer) to recuperate.

  • My parents' divorce, losing my family but gaining an intense bond with my siblings.

  • My increasingly difficult relationship with my dad.

  • Deciding on a whim to audition for the theatre program. I got in and it changed my life. I often say, everything I need to know I learned from theatre, and I mean it.

  • Going to graduate school for drama and suddenly being amidst my tribe - interesting, smart, engaged, creative people. I felt at home. I had the opportunity to act, to direct, to coach movement, to choreograph, to become a leader and an editor. It changed who I am.

  • The moment when I knew I had to leave my long-term relationship. I left with no money, no job and no idea what I was going to do next. Thank you, Shannon, for the way you took me in and all of the support you gave.

  • Clubbing. Expending all my explosive energy dancing night after night with Shannon and our dear friend Gala. Rediscovering my sense of self, my sensuality, my power and my connection to the Universe through dance.

  • Creating a theatre company, Stubborn Muses, with a colleague from school and later with Shannon.

  • Meeting my husband, the best gift the Universe ever gave me, and learning what love can be.

  • Leaving my doctoral studies.

  • Actively searching for my best work, what I wanted to do in the world, and discovering coaching.

  • Buying a house with Justin and the growing journey it has been every since.

  • Discovering Nia and healing my dancer's heart.

  • Starting my own business.

  • Leaping full-time into my own business
This is my story so far. I wonder what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment