Thursday, November 27, 2008

Soul Coaching Day 26: A Home for the Soul

Today's Soul Coaching focus is about feeling at home and the Level 1 task is to bring nature into your home. That and today's meditation have really got me thinking. You see, I'm a city girl, through and through. I love coffee shops and public transit, meeting up for dinner and going to the movies. I love being surrounded by culture and multiculturalism. Art galleries are spiritual places to me. I love exploring new neighbourhoods, new restaurants and new ideas.

During today's meditation, as Denise described all these amazing places that you could imagine as your home, crystal palaces, open-aired temples, I simply saw myself in a fabulous detached house with a secluded garden and a studio space in a hip neighbourhood of Toronto. For real. That's where I want to be.

Don't get me wrong. I love nature. I love the beach and big trees and flowers and goodness knows I love river rocks. But I don't feel more at home walking in a forest or sitting on a dock looking out onto a lake. Nope. One of the qualities that Denise says makes a home is feeling safe. I feel safer in the city than in the woods or on the water or in the mountains. I love having the experience of those places (except for the on-the-water one) but then I want to come home.

One of the things I love about home is having a garden. In the spring I go outside every day and walk through every single inch of our little postage stamp backyard and watch things sprout. That fills me with joy. I love that we turned our little piece of ground from a nail-strewn mudpatch into a green space.

I guess today's exploration has made me think about what feels like home to me. Every time I move I realize that it has something to do with the way I place my things, how the same things are always on my nightstand wherever I live and that there's always certain things in my fridge. And of course it's my loved ones. It's creating memories in a space, each one adding another level of 'home' to our house. It's feeling like this is my space, my sanctuary, my little patch of the world, my home.

What makes you feel at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment