Monday, November 17, 2008

Soul Coaching Day 16: Taking Risks

No, it's not snowing in Toronto. Well, a little, but not this much. It's just somehow this picture suited where I ened up on the Soul Coaching journey today. I did have fun today (level 1) and I stretched outside my comfort zone (level 2). But the learning today came as a little sidestep on the risk theme.

In separate conversations recently, I've been asked whether I get negative feedback or pressure from friends or family in response to my non-traditional choices or my choosing to venture out and do my own thing. This is often a huge challenge to following your own path. As you step off the well-travelled road into the forest, many people try and bring you back, sometimes out of love and concern for your safety and sometimes with a vigour and vehemence that comes from somewhere else.

The funny thing is that my life feels really normal to me. I mean, it's my life. Sure, I dance barefoot weekly and can be heard saying things like, "What do you think the Universe wants you to hear?" and "What are your shoulders telling you?" But that just doesn't seem weird to me, lol. I just love what I do and truthfully I haven't had much of that judgment come my way. Until today.

Check this out. This is a comment left on my interview at Life Dev:
"A life coach, Nia barefoot workout instructor and life enthusiast? Perhaps you'd also like to interview me, I'm a yoghurt weaver, leprechaun and something else made up."

Ouch! When you put yourself out there, sometimes you will get pushed back. When I read this today, here's what I noticed.
  1. I did not take this personally.
  2. I believe in what I do. I know to my toes the value of what I do.
  3. I bring myself with me wherever I go, including to this discussion.

Here's my response.

"Okay, I did make up the life enthusiast part but the other two are recognized, certified professions that make a real difference in people's lives. One of my favourite things about being creative is that more is possible than you might at first believe. I'd love to hear a leprechaun's job description!"

I figure these questions and this comment showed up for a reason. I'm trying to find words for what I believe it's about. Yes, I was challenged. I saw that as an opportunity to stand up for what I believe in. Not to get into a fight or to be defensive but rather to declare with all certainty, "Yes, it is amazing, isn't it? It's fantastical. It's so good that it's hard to believe. I believe in life coaching, life enthusiasts and Nia. I believe in myself and what I'm doing. And yes, I believe in leprechauns. I believe in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment