Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

How was your weekend? It was beautiful here in my town. I started to make an anatomical reference to convey where my hometown lies on a map of the U.S., so I started to say, "here in America's bellybutton," but then I realized it's more like "here in America's left kidney," which doesn't sound as cute, so I'll just say, "here."








Sunday was particularly enjoyable. We went to church, where I heard a sermon that enlightened and challenged me, which isn't always the case since I've been in church weekly since I was 6 weeks old.

Then we went out on the church lawn for a sort of picnic, just like I did when I was little, except the women weren't all in floral dresses, white shoes and pantyhose, and the men weren't in pastel leisure suits with white shoes.

This is very similar to the way women looked in my church when I was growing up in the 1970s. Imagine how excited I was to leave childhood behind and join the herd.

But we went out there and "partook" (church word!) of a fabulous BBQ dinner as a fund-raiser for a summer delegation to a Central Asian country, which I will not name here, because they don't take kindly to churchy people in them there parts.

After we came home, Jorge and I changed clothes and hopped on our bikes for a long ride on a nice trail. Not "nice" as in "Colorado nice," but you know, "left kidney of America" nice.

Highlight of biking event: a deer ran across the path. I got so excited you'd think the Space Shuttle crossed in front of us.

I actually said to some people who were walking by us as the deer passed, "OHMYGOSH! Did you SEE that??? A DEER! A deer just crossed the path! At first I thought it was a giant dog, but NO! It was a DEER!!"

They just looked at me like a I was a tourist in NYC gawking at sky scrapers. Deer are fairly common around here. Except to me.

Here we are at a rock along the trail. No, that is not an epitaph on the rock. Notice how I cropped the picture to cut out white legs that look like they are created from Pillsbury biscuit dough.

What followed was an afternoon of minimal work for me and a couple of hours of reading "Heaven," by Randy Alcorn. Coincidentally, I worked on my preparatory tan for my anniversary trip in June while I read about eternity. Nothing like focusing on the metaphysical and physical at the same time. Wow, I am complex.

Then I went to my cell group (no, not prison) for dinner and then out to the hospital to visit Diane with the Girls from Girls Group.

So that was my weekend. What did you do? Did a deer play any part in your most exciting moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment