Sunday, April 25, 2010

Answers from the Random Mind (I Answer Last Week's Questions)

Before I answer last week's Random, I have to share this funny story.

So one night, when Diane's sister was sitting up with her in her hospital room, in the middle of the night with no conversation about friends or Girls' Group going on at all, Diane sits straight up in bed, crosses her wrists in front of herself and declares with much energy: "What happens in Girls' Group STAYS in Girls' Group!"

This is so funny because we have never made any kind of sign or symbol like this at all, and although we value confidentiality, we don't have a secret society pledge of death upon betrayal or anything like that. So this completely cracked us up.

After Diane's funeral dinner, we stepped into the hall of the chapel and made this picture in honor of Diane. And oh, how we mean it: "What happens in Girls' Group STAYS in Girls' Group!"

Thanks again for all of your loving comments and support. I am so deeply moved I could never express what you all have meant to me. God bless you. And now on the belated Random!




1.Ever had any run-ins with the "library police?"

Yes, yes I have. It's not that I regularly keep books past the due date, but there just always seems to be some kind of scuffle between the librarians and me, which always seems to result in their display of a certain false superiority over me. At least that's how I feel when I interact with them.

If I ask for help, they direct me to the self-help thing that never works for me. If I tell them the thingy did not work for me, they proceed to try it and find out for themselves that the thingy does not work on this particular object, but somehow, they still find it appropriate to look askance at me. If I purchase (yes, I must purchase because my house sits just across the street from the city/county line) a library card, they issue a duplicate instead of renewing and then I end up being in trouble for having two cards on file, one for Linda Crow, and the other for my evil twin "Linda A. Crow." They act as if I tried to pull a fast one. THEY are the ones who didn't see the 1st record. These are just two examples of my run-ins, but the list is longer.

Irony: I went through a time in college when I wanted to be a librarian. Maybe if I had followed that calling, I could've cleansed the blight from my local library.


2. Do you have a special organizational plan and place for wrapping paper, gift bags, etc., or do you just purchase whatever you need as you give gifts?

Sometimes I'd like to smack the person who writes these questions. I have a closet in which it's all supposed to go, but the closet looks like a squirrel on cocaine organized it. I need help. Seriously. So in spite of having the dedicated closet, I have to buy as I go. AARGH!

3. Have you ever been in (first-hand witness) a natural disaster?

No. Yes. You should have seen the orange disaster my hair coloring was at one point in time. I refused to leave the salon until they fixed me or got me a job on Broadway as Annie. Other than that, no. Have come close to experiencing tornadoes, though. Tornadoes are as Hoosier as corn and ... corn.

4. What's your favorite Barry Manilow song?

Ugh. Don't like them. However, there was one song called, "A Linda Song", which I thought was great in high school because it made my boyfriend sad, and he deserved to be sad. You KNOW which boyfriend I'm talkin' 'bout.

He never wrote a song for Linda
He wrote as though he lived alone
He wrote of dreams that end
And of sad brave men
Inventing worlds he'd never known

But he never wrote a song for Linda
And she was right there all along
Loved him back to life
When his luck ran low
But he never wrote a Linda song


Oh, the pathos.

5. What's the best costume you've ever worn?

How about the Bearded Lady at Carnival Night at 180?



When I was a teenager, I went to a party as Charlie Chaplin, and I was always proud of that costume.

6. Which do you use more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus?

The thesaurus. You know ... that glossary, language reference book, lexicon, onomasticon, reference book, sourcebook, storehouse of words, terminology, treasury of words, vocabulary, word list. I use quite frequently. Often.

7. What's your favorite breakfast food?

The Panera egg sandwich (no meat, just egg and cheese) on ciabatta bread. If I can't have Panera, I cook my own two eggs every morning. Fills me up for the day, pretty much.



8. Have you ever purchased anything from an infomercial?

Yes, I purchased the original "The Firm" exercise videotapes. Loved that routine. "The Firm" kicked my, um, ciabatta.

9. Have you ever crawled through a window?

Yes. One year we built onto the back of our house, and I was in my jammmies in the framed-up addition with some baby chickens which we kept in a cardboard box in that unfinished room. After my visit was over, I was locked out of the house proper and had to crawl out the brand new window in "PJ's," which were not very modest. I ran to the front of the house and let myself in through the the garage.

10. Do you believe in love at first sight?

I'm going to take flack for this answer, but yes, I really do.

11. How man pairs of jeans do you own?

I had to go count.There are 12, but that's misleading because only about half of those fit, and those are 3 of one kind and 3 of another. And each set of 3 may only be worn with certain shoes. I've intended to write a whole post about this, so I'm saving it for another day. But let me be clear, I need some miracle jeans.

12. If someone were going to bake a cake to honor/represent you, what would it be? (Think creatively, like Duff and Crew on "Ace of Cakes.")

I can't believe how many of you said you haven't seen Ace of Cakes! That is a travesty! Don't you get the Food Network where you live?

OK, I guess my representative cake would be one of a running woman breathing so hard she is sucking in the blossoms off of the trees and tripping over her tiny Yorkshire Terrier on a leash with an envelope stuck to the bottom of one shoe. That incorporates running, Zoe and stuffing envelopes.


And here is "Ace of Cakes" for you underprivileged TV watchers. You don't have to watch all 6 mins to get a feel for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment