Monday, April 19, 2010

Taking flight...

This past weekend, my daughter and I were visiting my parents' farm. It was a beautiful sunny spring day, so we decided to take a walk down a little prairie road that leads to a creek. This is not an unusual occurrence. I spent many childhood hours on that prairie road, either by foot or by bike...occasionally on horseback. Every trip I've taken down it as an adult is full of nostalgia. I'm swept back to another time...a very easy, carefree time, where as a child, I was unaware of life's stresses...I had my parents and my siblings (all 5 of them!) to rely on.
There are always treasures to be found alongside this little road, or near the creek, or even in the adjacent pasture. Sparkly rocks...weathered wood. Sometimes we get lucky enough to catch the crocuses blooming in all their spring glory. On this particular day I came across the tiniest little nest...with remnants of pale blue egg shells in the bottom.
I picked up the nest, which had obviously been abandoned...it's purpose having been served. As I wondered about the baby birds, I couldn't help but think about some other "babies" leaving their nests. High school graduation will soon be here, and my three junk sisters are preparing to send their babies off into this big old world.

I know this happens every year to millions of parents and their children. It's a bittersweet occasion. But these three graduates have turned out to be fine young men with very promising futures. Some of you may know them. If you've ever been to JunkFest, chances are you saw them there. These are our cream-of-the-crop "junk hunks." None of them had to be there....they certainly weren't being paid...unless you call a free lunch "payment." They were there because they believed in what their Mothers were doing. They even brought their friends along to help. They did what was asked of them with smiles on their faces....not a single complaint.

Casey



Colin





Devan

I wish these young men the best in their future endeavors. I know they'll go far. And my hat goes off to the parents that gave them their wings and encouraged them to fly.








No comments:

Post a Comment