Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Random Dozen Observations and Happy Birthday, Dad

Allow me, please, to honor my father, who turns 88 today, born February 11, 1922.

If I added up every word on this blog and magically changed them into thoughts of love for you, Dad, there would still not be enough to say how much I love you. Thank you for accepting me even though you were 40 when I was born and had left a life of diapers and earaches years behind you. Thank you for providing a wonderful, comfortable, safe home for me. Thank you for loving Mom and always respecting her. Thank you for years of faithful service to God in every area of your life. Thank you for still telling me you're proud of me. But I am more proud of you. What a wonderful gift you have been to me and my family. Happy birthday, Dad! Let's celebrate this weekend!











1. Are you pleasant when you're ill, or are you a grumpy, fussy patient?

I'm not fussy, I'm just cute. (Right.) I've been ill for the last few days, and let me tell you, Jorge the Jabanero, a man of few words, could probably write his OWN blog post about this question. I plead "Baby of the Family Syndrome." Whaa.

2. When you find out that school is canceled (due to inclement weather) what is your gut reaction?

Except for when I was a young kid, I have never been a big fan of this event. I am such a clock-work, regimented person that I do not like this crazy-wild topsy-turvy thing called "stay at home and do whatever you please." And when my kids were little, I always panicked because I suddenly felt I had to be Caroline Ingalls and teach them and bake them something. It's like I was student teaching all over again, only no one was supervising me.

I think this preference for no snow-days is actually a good sign, though, if you look deep enough: I generally like my life routine better than alternatives.

3. What is one domestic skill you wish you could improve?

Oh, good grief. This was a total set-up, wasn't it?? I have a whole blogging label category called, "I Know You Think I Make This Stuff Up," which is mainly a repository for failed cooking tales. Baked goods usually turn out; that is, if they're sweet. If they're say, HAMS, forget it.

Also, I can't decorate my home like other women seem to be able. I still have big bare spots on walls in our "new" addition, circa 2001.

4. Do you decorate your home for Valentine's Day?

Not usually, unless it's a candle or two.

5. What song is on your mind today?

"Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright

6. Do you prefer contemporary movies or classic?

I'm a big Turner Classic Movies fan. I've spent most of my Creeping Crud week in bed watching. I did, however, watch "Sleepless in Seattle" for the very first time, which garnered a boatload of comments on my Facebook page. People have strong feelings about this movie. I have strong feelings that Meg Ryan should not have permanently changed her lips, but she didn't ask me first.

One reason I like the classics is that they're understated and swing between being highly sophisticated or highly unsoph. (Too weak to type that word out again completely.) Violence is usually hinted at or is brief, and sexuality is more like sensuality than blatant play-by-play athletic matches. I just prefer that. Call me Prudence the Prude. Or Lid the Sophisticate. I'll take either.

7. How well do you "compartmentalize" your feelings? For example, how well can you put aside a really trying moment to deal with the immediate situation which is not related to the trying moment, e.g., putting aside a tiff with your spouse in order to finish wallpapering a room.

OK, I got some "flim flam" from the "riff raff" (old movie terms) in the crowds about this question being long. Let me just say that even though it took me many words to ask this question, many people STILL did not understand what I was asking. So maybe it was just a bad question. But YOU trying do this week after week, esp. when your nasal passages are swollen to the size of coffee stirrers.

I compartmentalize. And then my Wednesday night girlfriends get the decompression.

8. What is the first thing that attracted you to your spouse? (Or if you're single, to your best friend.)

His coloring (dark hair and skin) his build (voted best male body in our senior class) but maybe most of all, his humor. (Imagine that.)

9. When was the last time your heart raced?

Watching LOST Tuesday night, during Sayid's "testing" scene. I had to leave the room. But also recently when I bought 6 pairs of shoes at the Payless BoGo sale, a feat I have never done before--6 at once. It was exhilarating.

10. What are your memories of Valentine's Day at school?

White sacks with paper doilies glued on. Bringing them home and reading each one. One year I made a special bulletin board in my room and pinned them all up. I was very proud of myself. I cannot remember even one Val. Day with a boyfriend. Not one. And many of you disparaged the whole cheerleaders got flowers and gifts tradition. Let me just tell you I was a cheerleader, and I didn't get no stinkin' flower.

11. If you were going to receive candy for Valentine's Day, which would you prefer?

Lid the Sophisticate says "Gourmet chocolate from my friend Cindy, owner of Gourmet Divine Chocolates," but the south end of Muncie girl in me says, "Reese Cups and Peanut M&Ms." Peanut, please.

12. Red or pink?

Rarely do I come upon an answer in my meme hopping that fits me like a silk glove. (This Valentine's Edition has me using romantic imagery now. Geesh.) My kitchen is not dark red, but it has red accents among black and white. And usually I wear more red than pink, but I love pink peonies.

But it was the mention of peonies that pushed me over the edge of plaigiarizing: Joyce at From This Side of the Pond--you complete me.

It depends. If we’re talking paint then I like red. My kitchen is painted a dark red and I love it. If we’re talking peonies or lingerie I like soft pink. I like red and pink both when it comes to my wardrobe. And if we’re talking Gerbera daisies then hot pink makes me smile.

Thank you all for playing this week (overwhelming number, but I'm sincerely trying to get through to you) and may the best apron lover win the giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment