Tuesday, February 16, 2010

JunkFest-Sweet Princess Dresser

The moment I laid eyes on this dresser on a junk jaunt to South Dakota, I just KNEW it had to come home with me. At the time I simply saw potential in a nicely shaped, fairly sturdy piece of furniture that I could refurbish for resale. Once I got “her” home, a few new details that had gone unnoticed started to emerge. Notice the “pin and cove” dovetailing on this fine piece. This dovetailing was used primarily in the 1880’s, showing that this fine gal has passed the test of time. The glass knobs were a definite plus, adding a sweet touch to her presence. I searched my wood stash until I found a few suitable pieces to frame a "Princess" corkboard where a mirror would have been...had it not been missing! I covered the corkboard with cotton fabric, and stenciled it with a crown (for the Princess, of course). I also added cuphooks for the Princess to hang her mirror, ribbons, and jewels.


I sanded, repaired, and sanded some more. Then a smooth coat or two of Kilz primer to cover the pink color under the white.


A few fresh coats of white, followed by a few coats of Polycrylic to seal the surfaces. (Polycrylic does not “yellow” over white paint and gives the smoothest feel to the surface! Yum!) I placed some girly, pretty pink wrapping paper in the drawers, and added a soft pink ribbon on a small drawer where the glass knob was missing.

Here is the Princess dresser all decked out for JunkFest 2009. I hope the Princess is enjoying her dresser!

This post linked to;

Faded Charm-White Wednesday

Domestically Speaking-Power of Paint Party

Blue Cricket Design-Show and Tell

Beyond the Picket Fence-Under $100

Mustard Seed Creations-Furniture Feature Friday

Funky Junk Interiors-Saturday Night Special

Between Naps on the Porch-Metamorphisis Monday


JunkDreams,

SweetMelissa

of JunkFest



No comments:

Post a Comment