Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Let Me Tell You ... My Random Dozen Answers


1. Have you ever fired a gun or shot a bow and arrow?

I have shot a bow and arrow. With the same finesse as PeeWee Herman, including lots of skipping and jumping around. We had an Olympic archer come to Oneighty once and shoot some arrows like she did on Letterman or Leno. As a promo for that, the staff ran out on the campus and videotaped our archery prowess and PeeWee Hermanness.

2. Do you know where your childhood best friends are?

I would say I know where 98% percent are, mainly due to Facebook, and that has been a very sweet thing. The girl with whom I rode the bus to kindergarten (who cried every day and then made me tear up as I stood there helpless to comfort her) lives in another state and has adopted two children from another country. Every year at Christmas, we would beg our parents to let us watch Frosty the Snowman together, which although it sounds ridiculously simple now, was not so much back then because we were not SPOILED by DVRs, let alone videotapes. You got one shot a year at those Christmas shows, and that was it. Anyway, that's just one example of a friend forever whom I can chat with whenever I want. Did I mention that the girl I got dumped for in high school is all over FB, too?

3. Do you usually arrive early, late, or on time?

Our kids' choir teacher used to say, "To be early is to be on time; to be on time is to be late." I'm not sure I agree with that 100%, but it's a pithy saying. I prefer to get there just a tad bit early. However, arriving early at a dinner party is NOT a good thing. That is an instance where one should arrive on the dot.

4. Are you more of a New York or California type?

I am a type B, laid-back personality. Call me So-Cal Lid.

5. Do you have a special ring tone?

Oh, how I've wanted to answer in the affirmative to this question for so long. YES, yes I finally do have a ring tone. It's the "music" at the end of each LOST episode. And it is awesome. And I am a dork, I know.

6. What is your favorite type of chip?

I'm not a big chip lover, but I love tortillas with lime, and I have a penchant for salt and vinegar, as well.

7. Best comedy you've ever seen is ....

I've talked about this so many times, but just in case you're new here, I love movies made by Christopher Guest. They are mockumentaries, filmed kind of the same way as The Office is. Right now, there is a commercial for the US census which has a lot of actors who are in his movies. Favorite: "Waiting for Guffman" about community theatre, but also "A Mighty Wind" about folk singers, "Best in Show" about the big dog shows, etc. I also like the old Barbra Streisand, Ryan O'Neill movie "What's Up, Doc?" Like this style:



8. Have you ever cut your own hair? To quote Dr. Phil, "How'd that work for ya?"

Oh yes. I've had my share of chopping and coloring disasters. In spite of that, I still trim my own bangs. But that is all now.

9. If you were going to have an extreme makeover, would you rather it be about your house or your personal self?

Personal self. I'll bet I'm one of the few who said that.

10. Are you allergic to anything?

"Allergy" is my middle name. My own body is not even that crazy about itself. But it's a lifelong thing I'm used to dealing with, and I'm not complaining. Things could be much worse. Main offenders: dust, ragweed, pollen, cats, and pine resin.

11. Why is it so hard to change?

The best explanation I've ever heard: What my pastor, Matt, said about this topic, called "Where Are You Headed?" but it's not about heading to heaven or hell. It's about direction and why we do what we do and cannot seem to change the things we'd like to. I've been in church since I was six weeks old. This may be the best sermon I've ever heard about human nature, maybe the best sermon, period. And Matt is about half my age. I'm an old dog, but I'm still learnin'.

12. One last question dedicated to February love: CS Lewis said, "To love is to be vulnerable." Please share one example of that assertion or share any thought you'd like to about this topic.

Everything of value has some risk attached to it. For instance, I believe that saying about how when you have children, your heart goes walking around outside your body. I would add that when your child drives away for the first time, you feel like your heart is dragging behind the bumper like a tin can on a string.

And let's not forget Shakespeare's, "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." That certainly implies inevitable vulnerability.

In sum, love is bittersweet, but it's worth the risk.

Thanks for playing along, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment