Thursday, August 27, 2009

You Know What Happens When I Get Interested in the Kitchen ...

You know what happens when I get interested in the kitchen.

Look out.

For instance, yesterday I was trying to make a pork loin roast and rice. I spilled rice all over the counter top and floor. After that I was looking for the meat thermometer and spilled wooden skewers all over the floor. And the day before that, I broke a mirror in the kitchen, just passing through. So basically the kitchen has been a mine field for Zoe.

Kitchens are bad.

But I did happen to find this site yesterday that I think was created for people like me and 12 year olds who are beginning to cook.

Just kidding.
No I'm not.

Kathy Maister's startcooking.com was an official honoree in the 2008 Webby Awards for step-by-step tutorial sites, and although not each recipe has an accompanying video, some do, which is a nice plus. Just for fun, I watched the "How to Fry an Egg" video. Not because I needed help, mind you, but just because, well, you know.

OK, I admit it. I was starting out with my skillet too hot. And I was cooking them too long according to this 1 minute video:



Here's a video for Tex-Mex Cheeseburgers, which I will be making soon:



I love the "stop-action" way the videos are shot with tiny little sound effects, like ketchup going, "Phhhhphth."

So this site isn't exhaustive in it's number and scope of recipes, but you should just check it out anyway. It's a lovely site that I'm only slightly envious of.

I need to find my niche, people, and do some cool videos.

You know, where people "see what you're saying." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment