Monday, August 24, 2009

Not Black Lung, Just Stress

I think I will live. I also think I have developed Acid Reflux, which is better than a heart attack, so I will take it.

I think stress brought the reflux on.

For instance, at work, I am learning a new database system that many churches use called, "Shelby." I have no idea why someone named the product "Shelby," but the one we were using before was called "Regis," which was not in honor of Regis Philbin but a shortened version of "registration."

Anyway, here is what it has been like. This is what I call my "kitchen metaphor," to explain my level of anxiety.

Since I've worked in other databases, I'm a little familiar with what's going on, but this one is new in many ways.

Metaphor: I'm in a great big new kitchen, and I feel lost. I've been in kitchens before (Regis), but not this one. I cannot find a spatula. I cannot find an oven mitt. Maybe this kitchen does not even have an oven mitt.

Sometimes, I pull on cabinet doors with all my might, but they are locked. This makes me think bad thoughts/words, right in a church "kitchen."

There are a couple of people I can ask for help, but sometimes they are out to lunch or do not know the answer. They usually say, "This kitchen is just weird like this; get used to it."

So then I have to get on a phone and call a complete stranger at this kitchen's designer's headquarters. I do not like to do this because I'm not fluent in "kitchenese."

So I call and say, "Hi, I'm Lidna Crow. I can't get this one thing to work. Suggestions?"

And then they want me to give them details.

Sheesh!

I'm finally starting to learn my way around the kitchen, though, so it won't be long until I'm making PopTarts for everyone, which is the equivalent of a report in database talk.

So that's the work stress.

Then today, I came home to find not one but TWO #2's left by Zoe!

I was scrambling around trying to figure out what possessed her to do such a dastardly thing, when I took it all by paper towel into the bathroom to hear the toilet making a funny sound, which I then saw was from a leak!

So I ran outside with the poo and then ran back in and shut off the toilet.

Part of me wanted to run back to work to get away from the house stress and mess--part of me wanted to stay at home and avoid work this week--I was trapped between two parallel universes of frustration!

There is one place I'm enjoying escaping to, however, and you could never guess where. It's my new laundry room, which I'm going to unveil tomorrow. If I could only fit my TV, recliner and elliptical trainer in there, I would make it my stress-free apartment--no databases, no leaking toilets, just paradise. (Winky-wink, hint!--See ya tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment