Wednesday, August 19, 2009

About August

So on my way to work this morning, I was listening to an NPR essay about how the month of August is morphing from the August we knew into something entirely different.

I feel exactly the same way as commentator Frank DeFord: "So August was a nice respite. We needed August. Then things changed. First, everybody started going back to school before Labor Day. Who'd ever heard of such a thing?"

Ever wish you had written what someone else did? That's me with this DeFord essay.

Anyway, what does August recall to you?

Yesterday I mentioned that it was August 18, 1973 when I went to the Indiana State Fair to finally see Donny Osmond. I believe I was 10 years old. Also, for my entire life, in mid-August, my Fall allergies would set in, and I'd have to take lots of meds and stay in air conditioned rooms a bunch, which was depressing as a kid. This was before most places had central air. I remember the small window unit in my very lavender bedroom and the hum it made as I fell asleep (often trying to breathe) on hot August evenings.

But let's not end on my gasping for air--What are your favorite August memories?





If the audio fails, you can read the commentary at NPR's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment