Monday, August 17, 2009

More Fish Flakes: Wedding Rings, Michael Vick & Carrie Ann

I did not know that it would be possible to find a picture of a cute fish, one that is real, I mean, not animated. But look at this fish. It is a cute fish. He's kind of smiling.

I think my "empty arms syndrome" [no baby to hold] is getting the better of me, don't you?

Random Flakes:

1. USA Today had a small story about which celebrities do/do not wear wedding rings. Why do people care? The article says that "Seeing stars wear their rings shows that they're open about the status of their relationship."

Last time I checked, most stars are open about everything, including things we wish they wouldn't share.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you all think about not wearing the wedding rings. Do you always wear yours? Does it bother you if married people choose not wear theirs?

2. Michael Vick. Do you have an opinion about his return to the NFL? I am all conflicted. I know that everyone deserves second chances and that he has paid for his crime. I'm just having a hard time letting go of my complete repulsion to this crime. Words fail me.

It seems the older I get, the more sensitive I am to suffering of any kind, even animals. So, having heard just a few details of what this man personally did to dogs (not just his associates, but he himself) I find myself not feeling so full of grace. I'm just being honest.

I don't know, if I were in charge of Michael Vick's life, what I would do with the man as far as a career goes, although I would vengefully like to sentence him to a lifetime of serving dogs. I guess something in me doesn't want him to regain NFL idol status. But I know this is not the majority opinion, nor is it the most biblical. Just keepin' it real and processing feelings out loud here at 2nd Cup. How do you feel about it?

3. Carrie Ann. Speaking of dogs. So one of my co-workers is an extreme dog lover. Make that "X-treme." A few months ago, she adopted a rescued Shih Tzu who had been caged the entire six years of her life in a puppy mill. The dog looks like the one at the left.

The dog's bottom teeth are gone, and her little tongue sticks out as a result, which is adorable. When my co-worker brought her home, the dog did not know how to walk up steps (still prefers ramps) and did not know how to jump up on a bed and did not know what a treat was. Have you ever heard of a dog who didn't know what to do with a "cookie?" Well, I got to meet this little sweetie the other day, and my heart just melted.

That may also be why the Michael Vick thing bothers me so much. Domesticated animals are at our mercy. I hate it when the powerful abuse the weak, no matter what the situation is or who the parties are.

The kicker is, the dog's name is "Carrie Ann," which is ironic, since my co-worker's name is Carrie! She thought about changing it, but it's been the little dog's name for six years, and all things considered, it's pretty sweet. I'm glad she didn't change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment