Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Donny, Jorge, and the Class of 2013

First of all, I can't believe that yesterday, August 18, passed without my mentioning that it is the anniversary of the first time I saw Donny Osmond at the Indiana State Fair, 1973.

Excuse me? THIRTY SIX YEARS AGO?? I did the math quickly in my head and then wrote it out like a third grader to make sure--yes, 36 years ago. In this context, 36 years is like an eon, which the dictionary says contains two or more eras. Oh, will the oldness ever stop? (Yes, I guess it will at some point!)

And yes, Donny is indeed going to be on DWTS this season (Sept 21), but I'm a little afraid to watch due to the Cloris Leachman Aging Syndrome, which is more painful for the audience than for the afflicted participant.

Speaking of TV, one of my biggest faves, Biggest Loser, premieres Sept. 15, or five weeks from now, to be exact, which is like half an eon, or one era. I cannot wait.

On a completely different subject, it has finally happened: I have called George "Jorge" so much here on the blog (and IRL) that I slipped up at work and signed him up for something as Jorge Crow, which cracked up a co-worker. Me too, because I never thought I'd do that. At least I didn't write "Jorge the Jabanero." My calling him Jorge goes back to when we were in high school. He was in Spanish class; I was in French class. Of course, everyone had appropriate names for those classes, and his was Jorge. It stuck with me and has picked up steam in the last couple of years. Also, sometimes I bellow "Jorge Feliciano!" when I really want his attention.

Finally, Beloit College has released its annual Beloit College Mindset List, which illustrates the cultural differences in the lives of students entering college.

For the class of 2013, here are a few:

* Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.

* The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.

* The KGB has never officially existed.

* They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.

* The European Union has always existed.

* Condoms have always been advertised on television.

* There has always been a Cartoon Network.

* They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.

* There have always been flat-screen televisions.

* There has always been a Planet Hollywood.

* There has always been blue Jell-O.

You can read the full list here. Can you think of any to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment