Thursday, July 28, 2011

In Which my Schnibble Goes Rogue!

First of all, I need to say that the turn of events had nothing whatsoever to do with the Schnibble pattern itself!  Ya gotta believe me on that.  It was all about the fabric choice I made.  I know that.  It was something or another by Kate Spain (I didn't keep the paper label that came with the charm packs) and the fabrics were gorgeous. Very gorgeouos. And the "Mon Ami" Schnibble pattern was and is a truly nifty pattern.  Done in the fabrics Carrie chose, it is so appealing! But that the fabric and the pattern would not play nicely together.  Oh, no, they would not.

Each individual block was nice enough.  And after awhile, I got the hang of the "contrast thing."  But putting those blocks together the way the pattern called for was making me cross-eyed.  And cranky.  I was not liking my project one bit.  And I wanted to quit.  It wasn't the pattern.  There was just too much going on.  And I did not wish to continue the chaos.

So I went over to start to take the blocks down from the wall and try to figure out some use for them, when it suddenly hit me:  These particular blocks just needed some breathing space!  They were smothering each other!
Much the way my infamous leader-ender projects will insist on becoming "real" projects instead of leader-enders, these stout-hearted little Schnibbles demanded that I give them a chance.  And some room to breathe.

And just look at that!  Alternating a plain white square makes all the difference.  An individual block can be seen, identified, and appreciated.  And would you look at the secondary pattern that is emerging from the white?  Is that not a joy to behold?

The Schnibble pattern is 5x5 blocks.  But these rogue Schnibbles want more.  I'm going to go 7x7 and then finish the project with the borders that Carrie calls for.  And end up with a Cousin to a Schnibble, I think, a little quilt that will please me very much.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment