Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Turn




1. Have you, or has someone close to you, ever won an award for anything?

I'm going to write a post and add sweet pictures of my dad's award ceremony this week, so I'll just coyly say "yes" for now!

2. Who is the nearest relative to you who has served in the US Military?

My father is a WWII veteran. Unlike many families, we have had few relatives in the armed services. Jorge has a nephew in the Navy in Guam right now, however.

3. Share something that stirs the patriotic spirit in you.

WWII history moves me because for most, it seemed to be a conflict of pure evil vs good. It was the greatest generation of people in history, in my opinion.

4. Where are you in the birth order in your family? Do you think your "placement" made a difference in your personality?

I am 4th, the baby. But the boys were 16, 12 and 8 when I was born, so I was also like a first-born, or a grandchild, after a few years because all my brothers were gone while I was growing up. In fact, I do not remember living at home with the older two. I have a tendency to sit back and let people "do" for me, unless I mind myself and stay alert to being proactive and helpful. On the other hand, I do have some first-born tendencies as well, but not nearly as many as "baby syndrome" qualities!

5. Name one trait you hope you carry that was evidenced in your parents or grandparents.

Faithfulness, on many levels.

6. If female, do you prefer wearing a skirt or pants? If male, shirt and tie or polo?

I actually like wearing skirts, if they're cotton and comfy! If not, I love my jeans and black tops, the old fall-back.

7. Approximately how many times do you wake during the night? What do you do to go back to sleep?

Well. I wake up as many times as my possessed legs will have it. The calves seize up like the concrete stops in parking lot spaces. If we had an intruder, it would be great if I could unattach my calf and hit him over the head because he would surely die. WOW. I'm eating bananas (potassium), taking calcium & potassium, drinking lots of water, stretching, etc., but to no avail. If I had a red cape and boots, I could be Ms. Superman. It's ridiculous.

8. Share a favorite movie quote.

I wish I could post the video, but the lines are only available within the middle of a long vignette. But basically, it's the movie "What's Up, Doc," with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, a favorite comedy of mine. At the end of the movie, Streisand's character turns to O'Neal's and says, batting her eyes, "Love means never having to say you're sorry," which is a wink & nod to the famous line from the movie O'Neal was best known for, "Love Story," with Ali McGraw. And O'Neal's character looks at her in disbelief and says, "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard." Completely cracks me up every time. The epitome of wit and irony and self-deprecating humor. Love it.

9. What is your favorite Fall candle scent?

Currently, banana nut cake, which my office mate is burning daily. I'm about to leave teeth marks in his candle when he's not looking.

10. What is one Fall activity you're looking forward to?

Visiting a place called Brown County, IN, where the autumnal foliage is postcard-worthy.

11. Tell us about a pleasant surprise that happened to you recently.

A beautiful orchid plant left at my desk, finding a nice car for Kristin, my list could go on. I am blessed!

12. What was it like when you first met your in-laws-to-be?

I do not remember the first moment, but I liked them immediately and felt that the vibes were reciprocated. I always got on with them well, although Jorge's mother has now passed.

I sincerely appreciate your faithfulness and enthusiasm each week here at the Random. I wish I could get around to visit you all, but I just can't do it and keep an actual job and actual home and family! So thanks for understanding. Your continuing interest and enjoyment of this meme is another wonerful surprise I count for number 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment