Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Disgruntled, Near Philadelphia

I have used the services of a half-dozen or more machine quilters and have been interested to note the differences -- some really prefer to use pantographs and others would rather do custom work.  Some delight in finding just the right thread to enhance the quilt and others prefer to use a thin off-white so that the quilting will in no way distract from the piecing.

I've used "Mrs. X" as a machine quilter for a couple of years now and been pleased with her quick turnaround and quality of work.  Recently I found out that I wished to have a certain quilt done quickly and asked her if she could; said that if not, no problerm --  the gift would wait until December.  I got the finished quilt back the other day and was a tad dismayed to find some pleating in one corner of the back.  Another friend had told me she'd had this same experience with Mrs. X, and I was surprised because I'd always received back perfect work.  Not this time.

I wish that were the sum total of this unhappy tale.  Alas, it is not.

Further along the back, there is a hole in the muslin, a hole that wasn't there when I gave Mrs. X. the fabric.

Many years ago, when Desertsky quilted something for me, there was some microscopic deficiency that only she would notice.  She drew it to my attention with a pin and immediately offered a $25 credit on my next project.

Mrs. X didn't even admit to the problem.  And I didn't see it when she opened up the quilt to show me.  Not until much later when I was beginning to bind.

One fewer machine quilter on my list now.  Sheesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment