Thursday, September 9, 2010

Friday Flashback: I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together




Tell about TV when you were growing up. Did your family have a TV? Was it color or b&w? How many TVs did your family have? Did you have one in your room? Did your family leave the TV on most of the day or turn it on for specific programs? Was the TV on or off when you ate meals as a family? Were there rules about watching TV? What were your favorite shows? Are there any particular memories you have of TV in your younger years?

I assume my family was like most middle American families in the 1970s, my true growing up years (since I graduated in 1981).

We had one television set (remember when they were called that?) on one end of the the living room, a room in which we lived, not a fancy-schmancy room, encased in a genuine wood grain look console or cabinet. We always had a mirror over the top of the TV.

We really had no viewing rules, and yes, the thing was on night and day. You can imagine the influence all that unguarded viewing had on me. To this day, I still believe I can move my furniture around by twitching my nose.










My favorite childhood TV program would have to be the Carol Burnett show. Each Saturday night, I would get my bath and then sit in front of my mom who would roll my hair up in pincurls or up in these strange pink rubber curlers pictured here with Dippity Do, and I would watch Carol Burnett.

That show made pincurls painless. I can see now that my sense of humor was intact even back then, as I preferred those comedy sketches to anything else on TV, and I was very little. Somehow, I "got it." And I as I grew, I learned to recognize the old movies she would spoof in sketches, such as Joan Crawford in "Mildred Fierce" for "Mildred Pierce" or Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard.
















Thanks, Linda, for stirring the memories. I hadn't thought about console TVs in a long time. You know, I think I prefer them to the stark black metal glass stands everyone uses now. Bring back the wood grain look!



Dippity-Do
Uploaded by Killer_Tomato. - Classic TV and last night's shows, online.

No comments:

Post a Comment