Friday, October 22, 2010

What Can Brown Do For You?

Well, for starters, Brown can play very nicely with aqua. This top was made from a block exchange we did a year or two ago.  The specs were:  brown and aqua stars on cream, 12" finished.  I was dazzled by what came in!  I fondled these blocks for quite a while before putting them together.  Because there was so very much going on already, I decided on a very simple setting.  Last Saturday I added the border and the quilt is going to a new machine quilter this coming Wednesday.

We have a policy in our house that any of the kids who need a quilt for a wedding, baby, or other occasion gift are free to look at the tops I've got finished that are undesignated, and then if they see one they like, I get it quilted and bind it, and then they pay me whatever they would have spent for the gift.  It works out very well for all of us.

Tom and Anastasia claimed this top the last time they were home.  It will be a Christmas gift for their closest friends.  I believe I will bind it in the same brown batik as the border.


Brown is a terrific neutral, unifying a batch of other colors.

Last Saturday I got the rows assembled for this Sister's Choice quilt that started out as a leader-ender project.  This was the top where I found the perfect border fabric right in my own stash. 

I like this little quilt.  It looks comforting to me.  You know, the sort of thing you'd crawl under when you had a headache.  Or the blues.  

I know that most Sister's Choice blocks are made with the center nine patch being high contrast.  I deliberately chose low contrast for the centers, wanting them to look sort of blurry.  I believe I succeeded in most of them. 

It's funny how some of the leader-ender projects get kind of egocentric and demand to be made "real" projects, and others are more humble, and patiently wait their turn.

This quilt was one of the latter kind. 

Brown cries out for pink!  These guys are my current leader-ender project.  They'll finish at six inches.  They will be made into a baby quilt for dear friends of Andrew and Amy who are expecting a daughter in the spring.

Brown.  Can't get enough of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment