Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Birthday Random



1. From "Men Are Dumb ....": If you had a theme song that played whenever you walked into a room full of people, what would it be?

Probably the happiest pop song ever written: "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. I know, I should have probably thought of something a little deeper, but this is my first response, so it just may be the most accurate.

2. From Pam of "Alert And Oriented x 4": Which of your shoes are your absolute favorite, and which are of the object of your most painful shoe-buyer's remorse?

I'm thinking of creating a photo file entitled, "Shoes I Have Known and Loved," sort of a "little black book" of shoe relationships. Here are some in ascending order of love:







But I have to say, my running shoes, they are dear to me for what they do for my life. So here's props to the tennys:


I have very little shoe remorse. Once I bought a pair of slingbacks that would NOT stay on my feet, no matter what I did. That was bad.

3. From Susanne of "Living to Tell the Story": Tell about your favorite birthday celebration that you've personally experienced.

When I was 40, my friends threw me a party at my favorite Mexican restaurant. They also invited a few of my other closest friends, so it was very meaningful. Also, that was the year Jorge bought me the Camaro. What a birthday! Maybe 50, in a couple of years, will be just as serendipitous.

4. From Lori of "Just me and My Life": If you were a flavor of ice cream, which would you be?

Peanut butter.

5. Cindy Swanson of "Notes in the Key of Life" asks: Have you ever had a crush on a movie star? Who was it, and are you still crushing?

I've always preferred musicians to actors. I remember when I thought Paul Newman was just an old man and couldn't figure out why everyone seemed to like him so much. The other day, however, I watched a Paul Newman movie and thought to myself, "My goodness. Now I get what all of the fuss was about. What a pretty man."

6. Jill from "Jill Boyd's Place" inquires: Glasses or braces--if you had to wear one, which would it be?

Braces, for they are temporary. I have glasses and HATE them with a searing white-hot hate.

7. Nel from "Fasteneau Facts" asks: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Siesta Key, Fl

8. Thena from "Patiently Waiting" wants to know: If money were no obstacle, what would be the perfect birthday gift to receive?

Strictly selfishly speaking, I would love a shopping spree or new car. How predictable, I know.

9. From "Life Through Bifocals," LynnMarie asks: What is your favorite birthday meal?

Probably vegetable nachos at my favorite Mexican place. But what would really get me excited is no-bake chocolate oatmeal peanut butter cookies.

10. Debby at "Just Breathe" checks in with: Do you still send hand-written thank you notes?

Yes, I do, unless it's a gift from my really close girlfriends. My parents, bless their hearts, write thank you notes to us kids when we give them gifts, which I wish they would not do. It feels too formal and weird, but I don't think they'll be changing that habit since they're in their mid 80s. It's just heart-breaking, somehow, to see that unsteady handwriting in the mail thanking me for some puny gift in light of the life they have given me. Love them.

11. Linda from "Mocha with Linda" poses this question: What is something you've done that you never thought you'd do?

I've been to Kazakhstan twice to teach English at summer camps.

12. Jewel, my homegirl from Indiana who writes at "Musings from the World of Jewel," is very insistent that we answer this: Mount Rushmore honors four US Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Roosevelt. If you could add any person to Mount Rushmore, who would you add and why?

Dave Barry?
Ronald Reagan?
Billy Graham?

No.

Mr. Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment