Friday, October 15, 2010

The Softer Side of Industrial Chic.

What's your style? Primitive, cottage, eclectic, funky, shabby chic, industrial? I've really hardly even given "Industrial Chic" a thought. In my mind it was cold, hard, metal, glass, and too contemporary.




This post is linking up to Margo's Junkin Journal and her Industrial Chic Linky Party, and Funky Junk Donna at SNS, but my take on "Industrial Chic" isn't quite the same as most. I'm all about the mix of different styles and that mix keeps my things from becoming "cold and hard" to me. I'd like to call it the Softer Side of Funky Industrial Chic. The few things around my home weren't necessarily in industry but in the working force at some point in their dutiful lives. (not saying I don't WISH I had some awesome industrial pieces!)



This heavy piece is a new purchase of mine....and I love it! Once a functional automotive part, it now works wonderfully as a "vase" for some dried broom corn. My Grandfather (pictured above) used to manufacture brooms with this fabulous plant. The broom corn, along with the warm colored rust work together to soften the cold metal of the axle.


And I'm lucky enough to have one of the brooms made by him!! I'll always know which one in my collection is the family heirloom by the paint he got on it the day he and I were painting trim at his house. When I realized it was one of his very own handcrafted brooms (and knowing there were very few around!) I jumped for joy and was the lucky recipient of it.






Using inspiration from the Bachman's Idea House...T.P. is always close at hand when needed!



This centerpiece was likely once an air filter or implement part of some kind. Again the rust, with a little bit of candlelight make it warm and inviting for my tastes.




Not sure on this metal pan, but I believe it is similar to those used to hold oil for equipment maintenance. (or I might be making that up....but isn't it awesome!) Story here.



Okay, maybe my idea of Industrial Chic is way off base...but I love the mix these items bring to my home. Now head on over at Margo's linky party and check out the links...some FAB stuff and wonderful inspiration there! Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment