Friday, July 16, 2010

Too Much of a Tan is a BAAAD Thing -or- Just Call Me Magda

Here she is, one of my favorite supporting role characters, Magda, from Something About Mary.

Magda is Mary's neighbor with a heart of gold and a head of peroxide, a middle aged, too-blonde, too-tanned woman, the woman I'm always secretly afraid I'm going to end up looking like because Magdas DO exist. I can think of one I know personally right at this moment. Yikes.

Looky, she even has a little dog she dotes on.

Gulp.

At least I don't smoke.



But I can see a big difference, already, in my skin since I returned from beautiful, heavenly Florida. The lines are more prominent around my mouth. You know those lines, "Smokers' Lines," even though, as I said, I don't smoke. They're the lines your lipstick likes to bleed into as you age.

Yikes again.

The thing is, I'm pretty diligent, yea, even vigilant, about not tanning my face so much. Just a few minutes of sun is all it is allowed, and then I slather on SPF #Kryptonite--complete block. But guess what? Those rays still get through. Turns out SPF 30 is about as reliable as condoms.

Did I just say that on this blog?

Anyway, as I type this, I'm also packing (I have eight arms) for a weekend away with my girlfriends from Wednesday night Girls' Group. You can bet I'm packing the sun block because we will spend a lot of our time on a boat, singing along with the likes of Steely Dan, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Stevie Wonder. Guess that tells you the average age, doesn't it.

Here are the girls I'm going with, and I can't wait, but I have to also say that we will miss Diane, who loved the water and going with this group to this lake so much.

I'm sure we will toast her and sing some Abba just for her!



No comments:

Post a Comment