Monday, July 12, 2010

JunkFest-Vintage Washstand Repurpose


Being a Junker has its perks. This vintage washstand is glorious all on it's own. Add a few flowers and put it on a (my) porch....perfect.


At first my Junk Sisters and I didn't know for sure what it actually was. We tossed between a washstand of some sort or some kind of grain cleaner.


It wasn't until I pulled it from my barn to wash it up recently that I noticed the paper label still attached to the inner wall. Fabulous!


Can you imagine washing all your laundry with this "manual" machine? I'm sure it was a Cadillac in it's day! I can sorta relate because I spent a short while using a ringer washer when I was first married. Yuck. Busy kids, sports, and jobs...thank goodness for the conveniences we have these days!!


See how when the handle is moved, the wash basin "rocks" causing an abrasive action against the clothing?



I didn't want to destroy this fine piece but loved the thought of making a planter out of it. so I found a plastic tub that fit inside...added a few drain holes in the bottom. The washstand conveniently has a drain hole in the back too! Then, I added some burlap to the tub, and started with some drain material in the bottom. I had styrofoam sitting around so crumbled a bit of that.


Then before adding dirt I put in my experimental-repurposed-secret-ingredient. Can you guess what it is?


The lids from spray paint cans! I put them open side up so they would be an extra reservoir for holding moisture until the plants needed it. (you see, I'm not the best at keeping my flowers watered and ALIVE) So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment