Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Melanie Wilkes Revisited

Remember my Quilt for Melanie Wilkes?  The one that was made out of the yield from a CW swap of Nine Patch blocks and 6.5 squares?  The one pictured to the left?  The quilt I'd expected to sleep under of a cold winter night?  Until someone asked so nicely if she could have it?  Yes, that Melanie Wilkes.

Sometime after Melanie was completed and sent to her new owner, one of the swappers wrote and told me that she'd discovered that CW just wasn't her thing; she'd made a quilt for her sister out of some of the swap blocks and was going to send me the rest.  That was all it took to get me going again; perhaps I'd have a Melanie, after all.  I quickly organized another Nine Patch swap and yesterday started putting blocks and squares up on my design wall.  But this time, on point.  Almost immediately I realized that this quilt was going to be bigger than my wall, and I drew out a simple pattern and started making the rows blindly, randomly, without any knowledge of how the blocks would fall.  The side triangles are a nice brown with blue CW print.

It is going together quickly and I'm having fun with it.  Trouble is, it needs its own name.  There was just one Melanie for me.  I can't name this new quilt for Scarlett; it's much too sedate.  And I've got Rhett's name reserved for another project.  I'm sort of thinking "Twelve Oaks" or perhaps "Mrs. O'Hara."  But I'm open to suggestions. 

Progress pic tomorrow.  Perhaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment