Thursday, April 30, 2009

Long Live the Queen!

I've mentioned our friend Gretchen on this blog in the past, and today I wanted to show you one of her recent works of art. Gretchen designs jewelry out of vintage costume jewelry and found items. Recently, she has come up with some very creative, clever, and funky rings. The necklace shown below features a pocket watch medallion with the word "Queen" in it as the focal point. Check out the vintage dice, wooden checker, and sweet little bird...."surprise" elements!

There are many others out there crafting jewelry out of buttons and other found objects, but none quite like the work of Gretchen's, a.k.a. Mimi Toria's Designs. She and Lani from Cottage Elements are embarking on a wonderful adventure, all beginning tomorrow with the opening debut of the French Flea occasional marketplace in Anoka, MN. If you are anywhere in the vicinity, you really must check this out! Gretchen and Lani will be joining several other equally talented women to offer their French-themed vintage items, architectural salvage, and home decor at twice-monthly sales. Visit either blog to get shop info. and future sale dates. You won't be disappointed!
Here's a shot of my great new necklace, shown on Marguerite Joni....that's right, she now has a name. How'd I come up with that? Even though I loved all the suggestions you all gave, I decided on this because Marguerite is the name of my Dad's cousin...it has such a worldly sound to it, don't you think? And Joni? Well, that's easy.....that's my sister's name and she told me to name her that!


No comments:

Post a Comment