Friday, April 24, 2009

30 x 5 Update and Weekend Workout Video



Wow, the cherries post from yesterday sure struck a chord with you all. And bless your hearts, not a one of you mentioned the calories involved!

After all, I'm still trying to cut 100 per day. I mentioned before that if you want to make a rough estimate of 100 calories, cut out eating something about the size of your thumb. To that I say to myself, "Is that so?" Because there are days when I've got such a sugar craving I'd consider cutting off my thumb just so that I could "legally" eat a cookie or two.

Like Subway white chocolate chip-macadamia nut cookies. Oh.My.

Not that I know how good they are from recent experience. But the memory of them is deeply embedded in my brain like the sound of my mother's voice from inside her womb. They are the building blocks of my dietary DNA.

So how's the 30 x 5 going?

I'm hanging in there. At the beginning of week two in this phase, I was dragging hiney. One day I remember I got on the elliptical for 30 minutes, but it was probably worthless because it was like I had a separation of mind and body. I was not into it mentally. I just made my legs go up and down, without any iota of energy or intention. I probably could've had as good a workout by loading the dishwasher.

But I didn't quit; that's the important part, right?

So for the last couple of days, I've been really going at it with everything I've got.

For instance, I've been switching up the resistance and speed of my effort every 5 minutes of the 30 minutes. I think this is more challenging than simply extending my time to 45 minutes or longer, really.

So for the first 5, I'm on a slow, hard climb. Then, I dial it down and speed up to a bicycling pace. And so on.

And I have added another component which I posted pictures of on Wednesday, the exercise ball and weights.

It's true that there is no food or pill that speeds up metabolism, but building muscle speeds it up because muscle burns more calories than fat, and after you lift weights, you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for a while afterward. You don't do that with aerobic exercise so much.

Did I tell you I'm a PhD in Exercise Science? JK!

But my son is majoring in Exercise Sci. Frankly, I can't believe he's old enough to major in anything but Ninja Turtles, so isn't that cute?!

Anyway, that's what I'm up to as far as moving around.

We wind this up on the 28th, and I will have a Mr. Linky up for you to post about it, if you so wish. But go ahead and leave a comment today about how Phase two is going. Or not going. See: Lazy cat on the treadmill video.

And now I leave you with your weekend workout video. I think the point is to laugh until your sides hurt, which I do on a regular basis with my friends. Is this how I sound??

No comments:

Post a Comment