Sunday, October 11, 2009

Who are Hall and Oates? What is Wrong With You.


OK, people. I've had about enough of your Hall and Oates illiteracy. Come out of your comas and get your diplomas. Wake up and smell the "Blue-eyed Soul."

Yes, it's true that when I first started talking about Hall and Oates to my then teenagers, they had no clue who/what H&O are.

"Hauling Oats?"
"Holland Oats?"
"Hauling Goats?"

I thought I would bust a gasket, whatever that means. Clearly, I had not done my job as a mom (or blogger) by not introducing them (and you) to one of the most prolific 80s music writer/performers, whose careers have lasted literally for decades, from the 70s to now.

But every time one of you says, "I don't know who that is," I want to say, "What is wrong with you people? Are all of my blog readers 12 years old?"

I never realized, in younger years, how much I actually enjoyed their music, until one day I started mentally listing all of their songs that I always listen to completion on the radio.

And then I bought CDs.

And then I bought concert tickets a couple of years ago. I had not bought a concert ticket since the 80s. That's how BIG this was to me.

And then ... just when Hall and Oates were about to "make my dreams come true, ooh-ooh, ooh-oo, ooh-ooh" Daryl Hall contracted Lyme Disease and they had to cancel concerts.

Lyme Disease? Yep, and pretty serious, too, evidently.

Daryl Hall Lyme Disease Interview - Watch more Videos at Vodpod.


Since then, the duo has never been back around this area.

So I'm starting to think Lyme Disease was an excuse not to see me, Daryl Hall. Because I've learned that most things in life are about me.

Anyway, here is a short list of songs. I know that you're going to slap yourself upside the head in recognition:

Sara Smile
She's Gone
You Make My Dreams
Private Eyes
I Can't Go For That
Rich Girl
One on One
Say It Isn't So
Out of Touch
Kiss on My List (the quintessential Oates back-up "la-la" song)
Maneater

I was going to say which is my favorite, but I just can't. Special fondness for "Rich Girl" "Can't Go for That" and "Kiss."

One of the well-known aspects of the group is that Daryl Hall almost always sings lead, and John Oates almost always sings "Ooh" and "La" and other echoing phrases. Many have joked that this is a point of contention between them. Apparently not, since they've been playing together since the 70s.

People love to do parodies of Hall and Oates, including a political SNL skit last Fall. Not sure how Hall and Oates feel about the parodies, but I think they're great.

And then there's this one from "Psych," which my family loves. You have to watch a 30 second ad before the parody, if you're interested.



At any rate, I hope I have answered the question "Who are Hall and Oates" adequately because I never want to hear that question again from you.

Here's the real deal, in all of the 80s glory. Trivia: Which Julia Roberts movie features "Maneater" on the soundtrack?

No comments:

Post a Comment