Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Swipe at the Random Dozen #8

In my post title, I accidentally typed, "the Random Doze." Gee, I hope it's never that boring.


1. Candy corn: Your thoughts?

I might grab a handful because my hand is attracted to empty calories like dog hair to Mamaw's velour jogging suit, but I'd rather have something ... Reese Cup-ier.

2. Briefly, what was the first conversation you ever had with your spouse? (or best friend, if you're not married.) (Or someone significant, like your librarian.)

I remember the first thing that crazy librarian ever said to me. HA. Joking.

Very first conversation with my husband was in 9th grade English class. But no, we weren't married then. I was a smart girl; I waited until I got my driver's license and then we got hitched. HA. Joking.

I was a cheerleader, and Jorge was a football player. It was a game day. When the bell rang to end class, he walked up the aisle we were sitting in, and as I stood to leave, he whispered, "I like your outfit."

And I liked that overture very much.

"Ooh la la," as my sister-in-law would say. But she says that about everything.

Cue Sade: "Smooth Operator ... smooooooth oppa ray tah-uh ....."

We didn't date until college, though. But we have known each other since 9th grade.


3. Could you ever become a vegetarian?

Not only could I, but I'm planning to as soon as Kristin becomes a college student. She is an enthusiastic carnivore, and it's just too hard to prepare two different meals if a person doesn't have to.

It's pushing it for me to prepare one, as it is. I mean, can you imagine having to fix a bowl of cereal AND a bologna sandwich?! What am I, Ina Garten?


I just don't like the texture and flavor of most meat. If it's a hamburger barbecued to a crisp, I like it.

4. Have you ever dressed up your pet in a costume?

Oh, Lid! Was this a set up?! Yes, yes it was! Here she is as a reindeer, as "Eve," and as other cutenesses.













5. Name something about childhood that you miss (like Clark Bars, Teaberry Gum, Malibu Barbie, cracking fake eggs on people's heads with your fist and "It's the Great Pumpkin" airing only once a year).

Malibu Barbie (How did I know I would say that?)
Playing with my cousin, Pam
Jiffy Pop
Getting letters from my cousins in California
Learning to cartwheel
Giant Sweetarts that weren't chewy like they are now but just regular
All of the seasonal shows like Rudolph being an annual "event"
Vacation Bible school


6. Have you ever won a trophy? If not, what do you deserve a trophy for?

6th grade. MVP Volleyball. 'Nough said.

7. When do you think is the appropriate time to begin playing Christmas music each year?

I also posed this question on Facebook, and almost hands-down, the answer is the day after Thanksgiving. I myself start wanting to listen in October when it starts to cool. I don't think I lose Thanksgiving in the mix, and I usually play it when I'm by myself or so quietly at my desk that no one but I can hear it.

AMYGRANT*AMYGRANT*CALLME*AMYGRANT*AMYGRANT


8. What's your favorite board game?

Not a big fan, but I guess Scrabble. Outburst isn't a board game, but I KILL at Outburst.

9. How do you feel about surprises (receiving, not giving)?

I feel uneasy about them. My threshold for spontaneity and embarrassment is low. Finding the gas tank near empty on any given morning is a traumatic surprise.

10. Is it easy for you to say, "I'm sorry?"

Yes. And wow, there were some thoughtful, vulnerable answers to this question!

11. What is your favorite candle scent?

This is hard to say because I've begun to suspect I'm allergic. They are giving me headaches like I'm traveling behind a diesel truck. I used to love gardenia, done right, not cheaply. I probably like the autumnal baking ones, too.

12. October is traditionally "open house" time in public schools. If you had a literal open house in your home (like a reception) what light snacks would you serve visitors and what would you show them (as in art projects, graded papers) that would uniquely represent you?

OK, These are not necessarily wonderful, unique things. These are the things that would represent me.

No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies
Caramel Apple Spice Cider and Coffee
Hall and Oates choral concert in the living room next to the piano
Scrapbook filled with my newspaper column clippings
Exercise equipment
Running clothes
Zoe
Bible
2nd Cup Screen Saver
Remote control


I hope you enjoyed week 8 and will be back for 9. Also, remember, if you're participating in the Fall Into Flavor meme, that will be this MONDAY. Have that recipe ready to post and link!

"No need to ask--he's a smooth operator .... smoooooth operator ...."

No comments:

Post a Comment