Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Eating Smarties as I Answer the Random Dozen



Maybe they will help me be clever. Or maybe not, since it took three tries to upload the picture.



Why do you guys keep telling me that these questions are tough?! I just think some require a little more thought and that's what makes this meme (I hope) interesting. But these aren't really tough. "Tough" is deciding the old "who would you throw over the side of the lifeboat, Grandma or Grandpa?" question. So I'm NOT tough! I'm not! [Read that paragraph as if I'm on the courtroom witness stand with Perry Mason grilling me. You are Perry Mason.]

1. I've always wondered why we were taught both printing and cursive. Do you prefer to print or write cursive? (Keyboard is not a choice.)

This question is too tough!

I prefer to print even though it takes longer because I print better than I write. Jorge and the kids prefer printing, too. It's funny that the older I get, the more my cursive looks like my parents'. And it's funny how strained writing is now since I'm so used to the keyboard.


2. Are you a dreamer or a realist?

Very much the realist. I think I forgot how to dream. I also believe that's why I don't write more for publication. I know what the stats are for actually having a book published, and I know the stats on how few of those published books sell, and I know how little money authors make from those few books that are sold, and I know that buying all the latest exercise equipment from infomercials won't magically slim me down, and I know Nick Arrojo is never going to do my hair.

3. Billy Joel or Elton John?

This was a trick question for me. That is, for me, this is like asking, "Would rather tear a fingernail on your duvet to the quick or would you rather have the screen door scrape the back of your ankle as you pass through?" But since I don't want to be a rule breaker, I will say Billy Joel, but only for the songs "The Longest Time" and "Uptown Girl." I don't care for the musical stylings of either.

4. What is the scariest movie you've ever seen? Not just horror flicks but also ones where the tension or suspense is killer, for example, Flightplan (2005): A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plan.

Let me say that I HATE scary movies.

John 3:19: This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.


Just making sure you know I love the Light. End of sermon.

When I was a teenager, somehow I ended up in the theater to see Magic, which I'm sure I didn't realize was a scary movie because I didn't do scary movies. As goofy as this pic is goes the story: the ventriloquist's dummy comes to life. It stars Anthony Hopkins, who, of course, also did Silence of the Lambs, which I inexplicably watched one time. DUMB idea.

But this might be the scariest I've seen because of this scene from the movie Carrie, when her hand reaches out of the grave in the last scene. The ones with dark spiritual overtones like this movie are the worst. **Shiver**

5. Now what is the scariest real-life moment you've had?

When Katie was 3, she darted from my side (first and only time) and ran into open elevator doors on the 2nd floor of a department store. They closed, and I panicked! I asked the clerk to watch Jordan (in stroller) and I ran down the escalator to meet the elevator at the bottom, but by the time I got there, she was on her way back up. I ran back up, and there she was.

When Kristin was a toddler, she (first and only time) went out of the house and was gone for quite a while. I called and called inside and out, and with every second that ticked by, I became more and more panicked. I was tearing through the house yelling her name when I passed the front glass door, and she was standing there looking in. I almost died of a heart attack because traffic is terrible on our street. I held her and cried and cried.

And I've been pretty scared when they're out driving late at night. You cannot know this sheer terror until your child is out and you let your imagine run. Horrible, sickeningly horrible.

6. What word do you misspell without fail?

Connoisseur and Cincinnati. Every. Single. Time.

7. Name something you like to do but are not really talented or good at?

Easiest question so far: running.

8. Do you get your emotional/mental batteries recharged by being around people or by having alone time?

I'm pretty much an introvert. I like people, but I have to have alone time to get refreshed mentally and emotionally so that I can be my best when I'm with people again. It's another reason I like running; it's a solitary sport. Just God and me. And the squirrels and roadkill.

9. Have you ever been on TV?

Yes, a few years ago I was shopping in a carpet store and they just happened to be shooting a commercial that day. Only a few people recognized me while it played, but it was on all the time. To this day, I fight the Paparazzi every morning when I leave for work. But I don't complain like Angelina or Sean Penn. This is just my lot in life.

10. Apple or pumpkin pie? (Don't be greedy.)

If it's done well, apple.

11. How many magazine subscriptions do you have?

One: World Magazine, and it is amazing. Please check into it because you will not be disappointed.

12. What lesson do you have to keep re-learning?

I had a whole list, and then I stepped away from the computer and *poof* the list was gone. So I guess I need to re-learn how to upload pictures and save posts over and over.

Other:

That I shouldn't be too open about personal stuff with just anyone.
That there will always be someone who doesn't know who Hall and Oates is.
That most people don't care how clean my house is or isn't.
That I will indeed regret one more cookie.
That I should use one password so that I don't have to keep relearning passwords.
That when I pull up on the automatic lock on my car, the windows go down. (What genius wired it that way?)
That I can't multi-task as well as other women.
How much spaghetti to drop in the water to feed X number of people.
That I should go to the bathroom one more time before I leave the house.

I hope you enjoyed RD #7! I'll be around to read ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment