Sunday, March 27, 2011

St. Mike's

Well folks, here's yet another one of my cheerful cemetery posts! I was in Pine Point over the weekend, where I now know more people under the ground than above it. Some of the underground ones I visited at Saint Michael's.

However some of the more interesting tombstones in the place belong to people I never knew. For example by chance I stumbled upon the tragic grave of Conor Reynolds.



No doubt there are tragic stories behind many of these graves. This beautiful orb commemorates someone who died in the 1800's at only 26 years of age.



Here's something a little odd that someone placed on a grave - a lobster in a clear container! My mother was a big fan of Maine lobsters, but I'm not sure I'd put one on her grave. Oh well, there is no right or wrong to such things.



I remember reading once about some eccentric philosopher who used to walk around with a lobster on a leash. When asked why he was using a lobster to guide his way, he would reply, "Because it knows the deep."

Here is a little video I made showing the grave of south Valley Congressman Edward P. Boland, and his less famous but well loved graveyard neighbor.



Soon I was back in Northampton, where there are no lobsters but where dragons lurk.



In recent weeks there have been protests and counter-protests in Northampton each weekend, where the participants are usually well behaved. But this week things got a little tense as you can see in the video below.



Upside down "open" sign on a Northampton headshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment