Friday, March 25, 2011

Long Distance Birthday Love


Today is my mom's birthday. And it makes me miss her real big. My mom & I usually celebrate our birthdays together. (They're only 13 days apart.) And if we don't celebrate them together, we usually do someting fun on each of our separate birthdays, together. Make sense?

Our birthdays usually start out with specialty coffee drinks. Coffee is our thing. And "specialty" coffee just means "fancy" or "froo-froo". 2 sugars, 1 creamer? That's not good enough for us. And, oh, the abundance of coffee shops & drive thru java kiosks back home in the Pacific Northwest! Seriously, I don't think some people understand. ON. ALMOST. EVERY. CORNER. And I'm not exaggerating. It's our fuel for fun.

One year we got all dressed up & went to the opera for my mom's big day!... She & I have gone on random yard sale & antiquing road trips together, to places & towns we'd never shopped... We've gone for pedicures with girlfriends... We've gone browsing in the little downtown shops back home. You know the ones I'm talking about: In your very own backyard. You pass by them almost every day & say, "Someday I'll have to stop by & check those out." And yet you never do. Well we did... We've gone mall shopping, complete with photo booth pics...We've made reservations with a big crowd of friends at a new restaurant we'd never tried down by the river...

For the last few years we've been saying how fun it would be to go to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in Mt. Vernon, Washington on our birthday. But we never did. I don't know why. The season just always came & went. I wish more than ever I could go there with her now.

I think this evening the whole family is going out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. And, 1200 miles away, I'm having a little party of my own. It's called "pity".
*sigh*
I miss my mommy.



No comments:

Post a Comment