Sunday, May 9, 2010

Weekend Recap

I hope you had a great weekend; I sure did. Saturday, I went with my lovely mom to her church for a Mother's Day luncheon.

At 84, she was the oldest mother there, so they asked her to say the blessing before we ate. I was so appreciative to spend another Mother's Day with her. Yes, she is 84, but doesn't look it, I know.

I'm a convert to her skin care regimen now because I am a believer. However, the first and foremost reason her skin looks so good is that she never sees the light of day for more than 20 seconds or so. My dad has been dropping her off and picking her up at doors since about 1950. I cannot abide the "no sun" rule, even though I know the consequences. Other than that, I'm adopting her guidelines. Let's hope the genes are strong, that's all I'm saying.

Saturday night, we sent our baby off to her first junior/senior prom. She wore a dress that Katie wore a few years back in the Delaware County Junior Miss Pageant, and I think she looked great. They both happen to be petite girls, so it fit perfectly. She even had shoes to go with it.

In fact, the only items on which I spent money were a clutch, some makeup and the prom pictures. Am I cheap for mentioning that? Perhaps. But she went with a friend and was not emotionally invested in the event at all, just went as a fun thing to do. So I was glad not to have spent a ton of money on the dance. Maybe this will not blow you away like it did me, depending on where you live and what the prom custom is, I suppose, but I was floored to learn that one girl spent $500 on her dress. That's actually more than I paid for my wedding dress.

The best part for me was watching Katie do Kristin's hair and makeup. I don't have a sister, so witnessing this tender, fun-loving moment meant the world to me. It was an early Mother's Day present. Katie has been acting as a 3rd party mediator lately, and I appreciate her so much!

You'll notice one picture features my toilet. I'm sorry about that, but Katie snapped a pic of Kristin texting in the middle of preparations, and I loved that picture because it so represents her and kids nowadays that I had to include it. Sorry for the toilet and the wall mirror that makes it appear as though I have double toilets in one bathroom.

After that, Jorge and I drove to the nearby town where Katie (graduate) and Jordan attend college because Jordan's girlfriend graduated Saturday. We are SO happy that she is in his life; I could not have chosen a girl any better for him. And thrill upon thrill, we met her parents, brother and grandparents. They were completely lovely people and made us feel so welcome. We were even treated to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. In short, it was a wonderful evening, a real blessing in so many ways.

By the way, Jordan's girlfriend's mom confessed that she occasionally reads this blog. (GULP!) You all know I get a little wacky on here sometimes, and who knows what she expected when we would eventually meet, but I think she bestowed grace upon me for Jordan's and her daughter's sake!

After dinner, Jordan took us to see his new apartment in an old house on campus where he will be living for the summer. (Gulp again.) Very old, slightly scary at night for me, but he seems happy enough. Their fish is still alive, by the way, but we've had a cold spell and his house has no heat, so the fish is doing that playing possum thing where you'd swear it is dead but it's not. I know you appreciate the grandfish update.

By the way, what a relief to know that my grandfish's other set of grandparents is fabulous.

Sunday morning, we went to church, then I chose where we had lunch, which was Pizza King, a place I've mentioned once or a hundred times on here. It's an Indiana thing, and if you're born and bred here, you love it like nothing else. The piece de resistance is called the "Royal Feast," and that's what I ordered, as you will see in the pic. Also, you will see that when you sit in a booth, you pick up an old fashioned phone to place your order. And then when the pizza arrives, you have to decide which is better, the edge pieces or the center, and you can never decide, so you just keep eating.

After that, Jorge took me to see the movie "Babies," which I highly recommend if A) You like babies B) You're interested in learning about other cultures. Four babies are featured from Tokyo, Mongolia, Namibia and San Francisco. I happen to be partial to the story of the Mongolian baby because the culture is so near the Kazakh culture, which is of Mongolian descent.

The only thing is, the movie had not yet come to our town, so we had to drive to Indy to see it, about 60 miles. Then when we got there, it was sold out, so we bought tickets for the next show and shopped in a mall and got a skinny vanilla latte until it was time for the show.

I received lovely gifts from the kids, but the best part was seeing each of them and putting my hands on/arms around them. Oh, how I love those three people and their father.

I am a blessed woman--a blessed daughter, wife and mom. I don't deserve my life. I am so thankful!




No comments:

Post a Comment