Sunday, December 6, 2009

On the Subject of Dieting and the Holidays

Many of you know I joined a gym in May. For a long time, progress was slow-going. And then, in early November, something magical happened.

I lost quite a bit. My total since May was hovering around 15+ lbs or so, or another way to look at it, 12 inches (compiled from all over.) Yes, even my neck lost weight. Way to go, neck.

And then late November came. Something UNmagical happened.

Do I have to say any more?

Was it the buckeyes? Was it the sudden craving for those frozen, tasteless, minced together chicken patties with the crispy coating? Was it Starbucks Peppermint Mocha?

The answer is yes, yes it was. "Yes" to all of these and so much more.

Wha happen??

I don't know! I think it is holiday mania.

We've had some stress here in the Crow household. I can tell you now that for a while we thought Jorge might have the "c" word, but the biopsy came back clean. His job situation is totally weird. Mine was looking weird for a while but appears to be OK now. I have no Christmas shopping done because we're doing everything differently this year, and yet, I feel a knot form in my stomach every time someone on Facebook exclaims, "Christmas shopping? ALL DONE! WHEEEE!"

At this point, "Wheee!" can only be met by my popping a buckeye into my mouth.

So this might explain the "lapse" in weight loss progress.

But seriously, have I eaten SEVEN pounds worth of buckeyes and such over the last week??

Once again: Yes, yes I have.

To top it all off, a girl I go to church with told me this week that she remembers looking at our house several years ago when we had it up for sale. I did not know her then.

She said, "It's the weirdest thing. I can't remember much about your house, but I do remember a refrigerator magnet that said, 'Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.'"

Ahhh. That would be from when I worked at Weight Watchers.

I would like to amend that statement:

Nothing tastes as good as a buckeye washed down by a big old glass of milk chased by another buckeye.

So how are you doing with all the edible holiday temptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment