Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Swat at the Random This Week



Oh, and look! I have the exact same number of hairs on my head at 47 as I did at 2! Isn't that precious?!

1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about?

I shall choose one: my nose, which, as you can see in the pic above, was fine as a child. But when puberty hit, so did the ugly. My kids told me I had a witch's bump once. Niiiice. A doc told me it has definitely been broken at least once, maybe twice. He said he could fix it for me. And I have large nostrils, for some reason. My whole life I was self-conscious, and I still don't love it, but I've accepted it. Now, in reference to last week's question about cosmetic surgery, let me reiterate here that I have nothing against it. And if someday I want to do something to myself, I would appreciate not being judged by the more "pious" community, if you know what I mean. Keepin' it real here.

2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom?

You know, none of them seemed really "warm" to me. I guess they couldn't match my mom (who, in oxymoronic fashion was both warm AND critical of me, including critical of the nose. Hard to reconcile, I know, but it's true. She was lovingly critical?) Anyway, I pick Shirley Jones on the Partridge Family. I loved her demeanor.

3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn?

I can read French and I remember small phrases. I could not conjugate a verb, though. Yes, I'd like to learn French and Spanish.

4. Who is your personal hero?

Right now, there is a little 16 year old girl whom I've written about here who is hospitalized for critical care as a result a grave immune deficiency disease. You can read her sister's blog, Dancing Through the Rain if you would like a swift kick in the rear that will make you appreciate your life today. Both girls are fighting for their lives. Only 11 people in the world have this disease. Karly Koch, you are my hero. Kelsey, you too, Sweetie.

5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in?

How many times can I work the word "Buckeyes" into consecutive posts? Tomorrow, I post the recipe. They are killing. me.

6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value.

Last year, my sister-in-law Cathy asked us to take a photo of our house and send it to her, without any explanation. At Christmas, she presented us with a hand-painted ornament that was an exact representation of our house. I will always treasure it.

7. How do you feel about snow?

I love it. I will be tired of it soon, but I get excited every year when the first fall happens and when the city virtually shuts down due to heavy snow. The older I get, though, the more I notice my enthusiasm waning. That's oldness for you.

8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Not that I'm jealous of any number over three or anything.

Probably 6, which should be enough, I know, but it's not.

9. Tell me about your first crush.

OH Lid. Do you want the first one or the first real one. Because the first one happened when I was so little I don't even know how I knew he was a boy and I was a girl. He was our pastor's son, and I'll bet I hadn't been to kindergarten yet. That sounds crazy, but I can honestly aver that I have never had any confusion about gender preference. My poor parents. I was born crushing on someone. But later there was a Brett S., a Bryan W., a Bryan C., a Brett A. ... and a couple more before Jorge the Jabanero.

10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw?

When I doodle in staff meetings, I draw wildflowers and squares. But if I'm gonna be there 2 hours, I might write a blog post. Only ... how would I get it transferred?

11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast?

This question stems from a conflict of opinions I shared with a high school friend years ago. She dressed for the forecast. I dressed for the moment I was walking out the door. She was smart. I was ... inevitably too cold, hot or wet.

12. Favorite Christmas movie is?

It's a Wonderful Life. And for the record, the moment at the telephone when Sam Wainwright calls and Mary and George are face to face at the phone? They don't make passionate scenes like that anymore. Woo. Hoooooo. Sometimes less is SO much more! I also love The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant.


"He says it's the chance of a lifetime!"


No comments:

Post a Comment