Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Link Up for the Random Dozen & Something You Don't Know About Mr. Linky


I am so, so very happy to tell you that I'm writing my post from Panera today on the new Netbook. Have I mentioned I love the new Netbook once or twice?

The only downfall is the couple directly to my right who are quietly having a serious discussion about their relationship. Just not quiet enough.

Normally, I answer the dozen on Thursday, but I decided to get all crazy and toss it all up in the air and look what happened, I posted my answers today with you! Please link up at the bottom so that everyone can come see you.

1. Do you find it gross to share drinks with family? Friends?

I wouldn't say "gross." I would say I'm cautious about it. Somehow, in all these 47 years, I have escaped the plague of cold sores, although I used to get canker sores regularly. Big difference. So, I'm cautious for that reason; I don't want to have to deal with cold sores. And I just love the way this week's edition started with such a lovely thought: "I prefer not to contract Herpes Simplex."

2. What have you learned this year? (You didn't see a question of that weight coming, did you? At least not for #2.)

I learned, or should I say "re-learned," via four funerals, that life is short and that you can be breathing one minute and not the next. Eternity is not far away out there somewhere; it's as near and real as the snap of a finger, the wink of an eye. It is one instant away.

I learned, through Facebook, that you should indeed "Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold." I have enjoyed renewing friendships with high school classmates, even some who date back to grade school. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have cared as much as I do now. It's an age thing.

I'll stop there in the name of brevity.


3. When do you dismantle the Christmas decorations?

January 1 or 2. And inevitably, my mom will call in the middle of the dismantling right at the point of Christmas tree light frustration and ask if I'm cooking cabbage. Why? It's a Midwestern/Southern tradition that is supposed to bring about prosperity in the new year. And it works all right. If the country's currency is stinky gas.

4. Something you wish to accomplish before the end of 2009 is:

Getting a higher score than 9750 on Facebook Farkle?

5. How do you feel about winter (after Christmas)?

If it weren't for being afraid to run out there on the frozen tundra, I'd be OK with it. Except I do think I struggle with some seasonal affective disorder. When I used to go to the tanning bed, I didn't just go for the tan; I also went for the feeling of a mini tropical vacation in the sun. The smell of coconut, the bright light, the warmth after just trudging in from snow .... ahh, I miss it.

6. Have you participated in after-Christmas sales?

No, and I have about as much desire to as plucking my eyelashes out one by one.

7. Do you have plans for New Year's Eve?

They're in the making. I believe it's going to include Farkle at a friend's house. What can I say? I'm a junkie. It's the only game of chance I've ever enjoyed. I really like Catch Phrase because it's all about words.

8. Is there anything special awaiting you in January?

Amy Grant is going to call me? HA HA JUST KIDDING. We know she's not.

No, I can't think of anything besides the season premiere of Biggest Loser on January 5th
and the season premiere of Chuck on January 10.

9. If your life this year was a movie, what category or genre would it be? (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Suspense, Farcical, etc.)

Dramedy. Drama with a twist of comedy.

10. How much time per day do you spend blogging? Please do not lie. I will know.

Ahh, the real question is how much time do I spend on Facebook. It has consumed me much as blogging did a couple of years ago. I'm trying to find balance in both.

11. Who runs your household?

What a bad question. You must have run out of ideas. I would say we have a balance of power. When the kids were younger, I had more power. They have stripped me of my power now so that now I am merely a figurehead like the Queen of England is for Australia.

12. Share one hope/dream for 2010.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic here, but I don't really have dreams (i.e. big hopes or plans for the future) like other people. I don't know when I stopped, but I just don't. I have spent a lot of time trying to learn to lower my expectations in life, not raise them to have them crushed. I know that sounds drab, but it works for me.

Wow, what a "Sally Sad Sack" answer. But I don't feel sad about it; it just sounds sad, like,

"Happy New Year," signed, Eeyore.




In the title, I mentioned "something you don't know about Mr. Linky." Well here it is: Don't make the mistake of typing "Mr. Kinky" for "Mr. Linky." Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment