Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Random Dozen # 11



1. What was the last song you listened to?

Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik. It's the first one on my playlist below. Love, love, love this clever song.

2. Have you ever had “buyer’s remorse” over anything?

Yes, "irresistible" impulse sale items. Or souvenirs. Souvenirs are the worst! Or maybe I just pick bad ones. And items with Yorkies on them bring out the kid in me, but I have finally stopped that (on the outside, not on the inside.)

3. What is something in your life that you are thankful for now that you didn’t think you would be at the time of the event? (Something that seemed ill-timed, inconvenient or hurtful which turned out to be a good thing)

I'm thankful one of my boyfriends broke my heart so that I didn't end up with him. Turns out it would have been a fate worse than death.

4. Do you watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade every year? If so, do you have a favorite float or balloon?

I'm usually cooking as well as trying to watch, but I do enjoy Snoopy and Garfield. If only they would make a giant Yorkie parade balloon. Wait, I didn't say that.

5. Share a quote, scripture, poem or lyric which has been an inspiration to you lately.

Our faith and our friendships are not shattered by one big act, but by many small neglects.-- J. Gustav White

6. This is meant to be a fun question, and this is a G-rated blog, but please share a “guilty pleasure,” something that you enjoy that’s probably not the most edifying, time-worthy or healthy thing you could be indulging in. Did I mention this blog is rated G?

Some of my music is so bad, but I love it. Case in point: the music of WHAM. Yes, it's on my Playlist.
Facebook
Caramel Apple Spice Cinnamon Dolce syrup in cider.

7. What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to?

Dressing (or stuffing, depending on your region)and mashed potatoes. Carbs = holiday happiness.

8. What is your favorite book to read to children, or what was your favorite childhood book?

I wrote about my favorite childhood book here called The Snowman's Christmas Present by Irma Wilde. And I loved reading all kinds of books to my kids; it was a daily favorite activity. I'll choose one, though, The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.











9. Do you collect anything? (Feel free to post a photo.)

No, but I kind of wish I collected the Willow Tree figurines. However, this is not likely due the "souvenir/tchotchke" factor mentioned above. And I want you to really like that answer because I had to go through a lot of Google searches to find the correct spelling of "tchotchke" at 4:42 am.

10. Gift bags or wrapping paper?

I use the bags a lot, but I prefer paper on packages.

11. Share an after-school memory from when you were younger. What was your routine like on an average day?

In high school, I would come in the back door (required by Mom) take off my shoes (required) carry my back pack to my room (required) go to the restroom, get a glass of Hawaiian Punch and watch Merv Griffin. After that, it was usually homework. I was a good student, but I had my priorities.

12. True story: Once, in a job interview, I was asked this question and told there would be no clarifying; I simply had to answer the question: “When you’re fishing, do you feel for the fish?” So what about you? Do you feel for the fish??

Quickly I tried to decipher the hidden meaning in the question, such as:

Does it hurt a fish to hook it? If I say yes, it shows compassion.
But what if it's caught by a net? Suffocation, still not loads of laughs for fish.
What if she means do you wave your hand around in the water (feeling) trying to grasp a fish?
What if she's talking about recruiting members and I say yes and the correct answer is "Use all means possible to get customers in here, including nets and hooks in the jaw?"


Bizarre.

I said yes but he interviewer didn't comment on my answer at all. I truly have no idea what that was all about because it was for a Weight Watchers job, not a deckhand position on an industrial fishing boat or the lobster killer job at Long John Silver's.

But I got the job. And I never put hooks in the clients' mouths to keep them from eating or anything because I'm so compassionate and feel for the fish and everything.

Thanks for playing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment