Saturday, March 7, 2009

Junk Jewels Part 2

Several years ago, the Great White Hunter bought me a very pretty jewelry box that now houses many of my earrings, a few rings and a lapel pin or two. It still serves its function on my dresser top, and probably always will. However, I needed a place to hang my necklaces so that I could see them all...and of course it had to be aesthetically pleasing and somewhat junkified. During one particular "farm rescue" with SweetMelissa, we came away with a couple of beautifully ornate, somewhat battered old fames. I knew immediately what I would do with mine. After cleaning it up, adding a little gel stain and poly, I added a piece of quilt batting and fabric to some plywood and attached 3 decorative drawer pulls, which would hold the necklaces. I'm thinking after looking at this that perhaps I need to make a second one so as to better see them all!





My next dilemma was the growing amount of earrings I was acquiring, most of which have French wire hooks that become tangled when piled together. I had a smaller frame that I painted chocolate brown, rubbed with silver cream and added hardware cloth to (love that stuff!) It also sits on my dresser top, and so far I haven't run out of room on that!











Here's a close up of some earrings made by Gretchen at Mimi-Toria's Designs that have earned a spot on my new earring frame. She makes great pieces from found items, old buttons, vintage jewelry, etc. You really should check out her work!










No comments:

Post a Comment