Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oh, Baby!

The baby quilt I made using the left-overs from Justin's quilt (which is at the machine quilter's presently) is a flimsy.  It is 51 x 37 inches, a peculiar size.  I've made the binding out of the green, and it will put away in flimsy + binding stage until it is needed.  I enjoyed figuring out how to make this quilt and am pleased with how it turned out.

Speaking of babies, my sister has become a trained volunteer with our local hospital's outpatient hospice. In talking with the volunteer director there, she learned that there is a need for quilts of various sizes for the hospice patients, including children.  Our little monthly hand-sewing group has committed to each making a child-size quilt over the summer, to be delivered to the hospice after our September meeting.

I was horrified to learn that there is a particular pressing need for incubator-sized quilts.  How terribly sad to think that there are infants being served by a hospice unit.  This had not occurred to me.  I Googled "incubator-size quilt" and came up with either 12 x 18 or 16 x 20.  I've not made a quilt that small, I think, and plan to start one this coming week.  I'd like to think I could do one each month for this need.

No comments:

Post a Comment