Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reaching My Level of Incompetence

Does anyone remember a book from back in the Sixties called The Peter Principle?  The premise was that in any hierarchy, a person was promoted until he reached his level of incompetence.  As long as he was competent, doing well, he'd be promoted.  But ultimately, he'd reach the point where he was incompetent and at that point promotions would cease.  The treatise was supposed to be humorous, but I swear I've seen it in operation in many, many venues.  Don't get me started.

But not my quilting!!!  I took one look at Piecemeal's Block #12 and knew better than to attempt it.  I've never paper pieced, foundation pieced, or freezer paper pieced.  And, frankly, I've not had a hankering to learn.  (Although there are these blocks that Julie has been producing that make my heart beat faster.)  I know I can't learn from reading a tutorial; I'm a hands-on kind of learner.  Bobbi No Blog has offered to teach me basic paper piecing at White Oak next month, and I'm going to take a stab at it.  But right now, there are a few other basket blocks out there, and since I made Basket of Chips tonight, I only need the one more to have twenty-five.  Here's the plan:  I'll make one more block, as yet to be determined, next week sometime.  And I'll take my blocks along to White Oak along with fabric for Piecemeal's #12 and if the lesson from Bobbi NB goes well, if I'm a competent learner and paper piecer, I'll attempt #12 right then and there.

It's not as if I could set the blocks yet anyway.  I need to go to Sauder's or Old Country Store for finishing fabric. 

And, of course, I've still got Bill's Baskets up on my wall and many more of them to make. 

I love to sew.



No comments:

Post a Comment