Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Major Pettigrew

This was such a good book!

I don't remember where I got the recommendation.  Prolly from Bookmarks, a journal that the school library takes.  And because I was the person who discovered the journal, the librarian brings me each new issue as soon as it arrives, for my perusal.

Anyway, back to the Major.  I just loved this book.  Major Pettigrew is a sixtyish British widower, very traditional, very proper, and very thoughtful.  Unexpectedly, he finds himself developing a friendship-or-more with Mrs. Ali, a Pakistani widow who has a shop in the village.  His son, the members of the club, even the Vicar are bewildered by what is happening.

A first novel.  Beautifully written.  Could picture the scenes.  Even began to cast the movie. 

Give it a try, why don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment