Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cool Lamp!

Just wanted to share with you a lamp I constructed for my 10 year old daughter's room. I was at an auction sale a while back, where an acquaintance won the bid for a box of interesting items, one of which I had my eye on. When I asked if he could part with this particular piece, he generously gave it to me. (Thanks Justin...if you're reading this!) I knew immediately what I wanted to use it for. I'm guessing it was part of some farm machinery, perhaps an auger cover of some sort.


Because I cannot remember to take "before" pics, you'll just have to envision it a slightly rusted silver color. I spray painted it black. I also found a (new) curvy metal plant hanger that got a fresh coat of black paint as well.













I had previously purchased a hanging lamp kit from Lowe's, so I just had to notch out about an inch of metal on one end of the auger where the light kit clipped perfectly into. (gotta love those dremels!) I found velum paper at a craft store, as well as some star shaped crystals....love the pattern in the paper! I used fishing line to tie the crystals to the bottom end of the auger. With Gorilla super glue, I glued the velum to the inside of the auger, securing it with clothespins until dry.
I still need to make a cord cover with some black fabric or something that coordinates in her nuclear green room, but I love how it turned out...and so does she!

Who knows what you'll find lamps made out of at this year's JunkFest! Don't miss it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment