Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend Pictures and Other Fiascos

I should probably call this the 2nd Cup Weekend Re-LID, shouldn't I?

Speaking of lids ... I wore a brand new shirt to church Sunday morning, bought a skinny vanilla latte with whip (yeah, I know, contradictory), put the lid on it, sat down in church, took a drink and immediately spilled it down the front of me, right side only.

Shades of the nursing days, ladies.

Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who moved 10 years ago and another friend, so that was good to get caught up and to hear her exciting stories because this woman has THE most intriguing life of anyone I know. And I can't tell you more or she would have to kill you. She is not a spy, but her stories are that good and that serious. Seriously. Seriously serious.

Also, on Saturday I went with Kristin to see Leap Year, starring Amy Adams. It's pretty cute, and if you like romantic comedies, you'll like this one. I enjoyed the Irish accents more than a wee bit. It's rated PG, which I prefer because I'm a prudish nerd. I'm not sure why, but I've seen more movies in the last month than I saw in the entire year. Best one of all: Sherlock Holmes.

After church on Sunday, my Wednesday night Girls Group lunched and celebrated a birthday at Panera, my favorite restaurant, for Diane, seated next to me here, my sweet friend who is still beating the crap out of cancer.

Here she is opening my gift to her: "Cuddle Duds," super-soft long underwear. Hey, don't knock it until you've lived on the frozen tundra.

Diane is my hero. What this woman has endured in the last two years is unbelievable, and yet her faith and attitude are stunning testimonies to the grace of God. Happy Birthday, Diane!

Immediately after that party, we surreptitiously headed back to our church to celebrate the 40th birthday of ANOTHER woman in that group, Rachel, who turned 40 this week. Rachel is in the center, wearing purple and a painfully forced smile at the beginning of her surprise party here.



Here is Rachel telling me not to take her picture while she is crying. Whatever, Rachel.

Rachel's husband surprised her big-time, and all we had to do was lie to her a lot to help make it all happen. Thankfully, a couple of us are really good liars, so it all went well. The chiefest of liars would be the one in the middle. Great job, Daph!

Rachel is not digging turning 40, ladies. For those of you who have passed that benchmark, what encouragement could you offer her that will make her believe that this decade will be a good one? I will print your comments off and give them to her Wednesday night, when we Girls celebrate privately. It might even be fun to read some aloud. So be creative, be fun! Above all, don't be a Debbie Downer!

Sunday evening, I copied all of the addresses that you sent me over the weekend so that I can mail the "Crank" bracelets. I thanked Pastor Shane for you all and told him to look at your comments, which he did.

This is just a bonus pic to show you what face my friends bring out in me all the time. That is the face of searing sarcasm and rapier wit. I don't suggest clicking on this picture while you are drinking or eating.

Also on Sunday evening, I watched the long-awaited season premiere of Chuck, a show saved by fan votes last year. I loved this year's promotion: "No More Mr. Nice Spy." Zachary Levi is a believer, by the way. You can read an interview in which he speaks about his faith at Relevant Magazine.

So that was my weekend. Now, in honor of my coffee fiasco, I'm going to ask you to "spill it!" (Oh, my cleverness knows no bounds) and tell me about your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment